Magnum Loads for Lever PC

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Magnum Loads for Lever PC

Post by GTKF »

We ran our first PC match this past week. Shooters of 44 and 357 mags were asked to load in the 44 and 38 special range.

I was curious as to how other clubs may handle this for PC silhouette. Do you stop shooters from using hot loads?

Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

We don't ask people to use anything special, whether they're using full-power 44 mag loads or not. I assume if we saw target damage, the offender would be immediately asked to shoot lighter loads, or not continue shooting if he had no lighter loads and no one else had any to load him, though. We have had people pull out Contenders in 22 Hornet to shoot (we host PCLA and hunter pistol in the same match) and they were instantly asked to make sure they were shooting reduced loads, as full-power Hornet loads will often punch holes through the targets. I have given ammo to a couple shooters, as I shoot a Contender in 22 Hornet in Hunter Pistol and try to remember to bring enough for me and at least one more person, just in case.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Thanks Jason.

I should have been more specific, Lever Rifle Pistol Cartridge. I've seen hot 44 loads breaking the chickens at other Lever PC local matches

Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yep, I assumed you meant pistol cartridge. I'd be impressed if a 44 Mag damaged the long range cowboy targets, as we shoot them with rifles and jacketed bullets at much higher velocities. :)
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Although our targets are made of hard plate, we still dont let anyone shoot really hot loads, they damage the targets, broken welds, bent, etc, hits on the edge do cause divots.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Hot Loads

Post by ppkny »

What are you guys calling hot loads. I'm just getting into this and waiting for my Marlin 1894c in 357 cal. I understood that flat or round nose ammo 158 gr. 357 would be okay for PC. Comments please.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Hot Loads

Post by GTKF »

For 44 mag I use 21 gr of IMR 4227 with a 240 gr lead bullet for Rifle targets at 50 -200 yds as a "hot load"

For PC I use 8.5 gr of Unique with a 200gr lead bullet.

When a friend used the hot load on chickens in PC some chickens were damaged
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

jnyork wrote:Although our targets are made of hard plate, we still dont let anyone shoot really hot loads, they damage the targets, broken welds, bent, etc, hits on the edge do cause divots.
I should have said that this is for the PC rifle targets.. For the full size targets there is no problem. Hot loads ding the little chickens pretty badly regardless of what type of steel they are made of.