Henry 24" & Lyman Front sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Henry 24" & Lyman Front sight

Post by snaketail2 »

I just ordered 24" Henry .22, octagon barrel. What is the correct sight height - for Lyman 17 series - for this rifle? I'll be using a Williams rear sight.

Michael

What I'm really asking is - can I take the sights off my Marlin 39A and use them on the new Henry?
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Henry 24" & Lyman Front sight

Post by CamP »

With our 20" Henry's, the medium height 17A works best. The lowest one is too short. The tallest one will work, but is taller than necessary.
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

I have a Frontier in 24 inch. Your choice of rear sight depends on shooting stance. Williams makes a low and a high profile sight. Depending on what you buy determines the height of your front sight. Williams are not as good as they use to be. It would be ideal if your chicken setting is within 10 clicks from bottoming out. Gives you a little play if shooting high. If it was me sight it in with the factory front sight. If close remove and measure and order a 17a in the size needed. A high profile rear will allow the use of a 1 inch rear app and cause less hunching over the rifle.
If you are using a grove mounted rear yes you can use your 39a sight.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 am I just ordered 24" Henry .22, octagon barrel. What is the correct sight height - for Lyman 17 series - for this rifle? I'll be using a Williams rear sight.

Michael

What I'm really asking is - can I take the sights off my Marlin 39A and use them on the new Henry?
M
MB-

Rear site is different... Proper Williams rear for the Frontier is the FP-GR-TK

Regarding the front, only if your 39 has a dovetailed barrel (most don’t).
While the taller 17AUG can be used on a 20” barreled Frontier H001T, most find the preferred front sight for the H001TLB is the Lyman 17AML. I’ve a used 17AUG I’ll loan you to try, but my bet is that you won’t be happy with how far you have to crank the Williams up to find your correct site settings.

- Tim
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

What Tim said.

Lyman 17ami front sight

Williams FP-GR-TK rear sight. Add optional turn knob gib screw for quicker elevation adjustments. Requires shortening of screw.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I use the Williams FP-GR-TK and the 17AUG. I have had no complaints with the pairing.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Doodaddy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:10 am I use the Williams FP-GR-TK and the 17AUG. I have had no complaints with the pairing.
Each rifle is slightly different... although I was able to use the 17AUG on all the 20” Frontiers I’ve setup, some I have heard from stated they had to use a 17AML even on their 20” version.

Whereas, 17AUG on our 24” wound up with C/P setting at almost 10 turns from the bottom. 17AML put it at 3-4 Turns. YMMV...

My .02,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Tlee wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:31 am
Doodaddy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:10 am I use the Williams FP-GR-TK and the 17AUG. I have had no complaints with the pairing.
Each rifle is slightly different... although I was able to use the 17AUG on all the 20” Frontiers I’ve setup, some I have heard from stated they had to use a 17AML even on their 20” version.

Whereas, 17AUG on our 24” wound up with C/P setting at almost 10 turns from the bottom. 17AML put it at 3-4 Turns. YMMV...

My .02,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Whatever works on a rifle how you want it, I say use! Can't go wrong!

I've shot MiniMags, CCI SV, Automatch, Fiocchi SV, and Aguila Super Extra being able to getting settings with all. Below are the site settings for Aguila. The Aguila is about a hash mark faster than the CCI SV. I intentionally wanted my rear site all in the middle.

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Doesn't it depend on caliber too?

I have the 24" Henry in 22mag and had to use the AUG front sight. I first used the AML sight and while I could zero at chickens, I was only a few clicks from absolute bottom which made repeatablility suffer. The AUG puts everything in the center of the adjustment range and it works much more smoothly.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I am also using the 17AUG sight on my Frontier. My 4 settings are in the middle of the adjustments. I might think about getting the next lower front sight, just so I don't have to crank so much.