7-30 Waters, anyone using this anymore, bullets?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
21step
B Poster
B Poster

7-30 Waters, anyone using this anymore, bullets?

Post by 21step »

So my father in law just picked up a Win 94 chambered in 7-30 Waters and he would like to use it for CLA.

I searched the forum and I think the last post with 7-30 Waters in it was 4 years ago. So, what bullet is available for this cartridge today? Speer and Hornady no longer offer a flat nose 7mm that this caliber was intended for, am I correct in saying that?

Can the tip be cut off a plastic tipped bullet (i.e. tipped Match King) to obtain a flat nose bullet? I cut one off the 6.5mm 140 SST and it makes an approximate 0.100" diameter flat nose. Legal for use?

If anyone out there is shooting one for CLA it would be a great help to know what is working for you.

Thanks
Adam
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 7-30 Waters, anyone using this anymore, bullets?

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

In the spirit of the rules I would say no. It should be a flat or round nose bullit as made by a manufacturer. Cutting the tip could result in bad performance of the bullit.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Adam, i have seen people cutting the tips off at the Nationals in years past. Not sure how it would work and be consistant but i dont think in my mind it would go over the rule. The rule says nothing about how they are manufactured just that the bullet must be round or flat nose. Dont see why it would matter as to how it got to be flat nosed.There is a guy from Canada that shoots a 7-30 and he shoots cast out of his. May see him at Ridgway in May and i will see what i can find out for you. Mike Haynes
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I wanted a 7-30 until I found that I'd need to shoot cast bullets. If you are OK with cast then go for it.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Is there anything else for lever Guns than Cast Boolits?LMAO :ymdevil: :(( :ymdevil: =))
21step
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 21step »

I agree with you Mike, a flat nose is a flat nose. The NRA rules do not address how the nose got flat, as long as it's safe.

It will be interesting to see how a bullet with a cut off nose flies, it's only 200M so it shouldn't upset too much. It looks like Moyers Bullets makes a nice looking 7mm Silhouette bullet that will be good to try.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

There is a company that makes a metlap trimmer. I believe its Creedmoor sport.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

From the NRA Rifle Silhouette rules book;

"A rimmed case loaded with a round or flat nosed bullet must be used."
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

Cast bullets are certainly an option. You wrote "So my father in law just picked up a Win 94 chambered in 7-30 Waters and he would like to use it for CLA.". It depends. If the FIL is a veteran reloader and is open to shooting cast, why not get someone to make up some cast bullet options? It is not a chambering that a new shooter would want to start off with. There are challenges. Fun challenges for some. Frustrating challenges for others depending on the degree of interest one has in reloading and range time to find the right combination. It is not the normal path and is more likely to be pursued by a real hard core enthusiast who enjoys playing on the fringe and not following the crowd. I would hate to see someone become disenchanted with the sport due to less than optimal equipment. It might be better to pick up a rather pedestrian 30-30 lever gun for short dollars and see if the silhouette bug bites. If it does, folks use 30-30 as parent cases for 7-30 and off you go. It is "the path less traveled".

I did a little research re cutting off the point of a bullet. is a link that suggests there are some significant safety risks and for me, safety is key.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... ts.421608/ is a link that suggests there are some significant safety risks and for me, safety is key.