Barrel cleaning

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Barrel cleaning

Post by Ken Green »

This is for the owners of a Henry rifle or any others that do not want to take the rifle apart. How do you clean your barrel without taking the rifle apart to get to the barrel for cleaning?

I do have an Otis pull through system but I need to order some more patches. Ken
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Barrel cleaning

Post by No1_49er »

Not sure that I would ever contemplate using a pull-through of ANY type. That includes the various bore snakes etc. etc.
Dependant on the caliber, I use a conical guide, such as a Hoppes, on the cleaning rod (obviously from the muzzle) but for rimfire, the equivalent of a muzzle loaders "false muzzle" that fits closely over the muzzle and which has an appropriate sized hole to allow your 20cal cleaning rod through. Easy enough to make up from Delrin or some such synthetic material. Either method will ensure that the muzzle crown is not abraded in any way.

Hope that helps.

49er
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I shoot Marlins primarily for the reason that they are easy to clean from the breech. That said, when shooting blackpowder, I like to wipe every 5 shots and I do so with a pull through rig that I make myself. It is very easy. I use a length of weed-eater line with a knot on one end and cut the other at a sharp angle to make a sharp point. I then take a foam ear plug with a hole punched in it and thread the line through it. When wiping, I skewer a damp patch with the sharp end of the line, and pull the line through the rifle from breech to muzzle. Takes just a few seconds between banks of animals.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I clean rim fire lever actions with a pull through soaked with Kroil before the brush section.... I am pretty sure by the time I do any measurable/perseavable damage to it I'll be dead or ready to buy a new rifle..... To be fair though, I do clean my pull throughs after every use (ie after every cleaning session by soaking it in hot water and dawn, wringing it out rinse in hot water dry and then let hang air dry before the next use...)

Center fires I scrub with a copper remover till reasonably clean and then follow up with a pull through with kroil... same cleaning proceedure with the pull through...

BTW, a cleaning question on a firearm forum is the same as a oil question on a motorsports forum....

YMMV, IMHO, and any other caveat you with to imply...

:))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I was always told cleaning .22 is not needed as it removes the wax that is beneficial to accuracy.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:00 am I was always told cleaning .22 is not needed as it removes the wax that is beneficial to accuracy.
Depending on the quality of the chamber and barrel they may never need to be cleaned to cleaned after every session.... Most 3P/benchrest shooters clean after or during a event....

Most will preform better with a fresh clean and light fouling.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I guess my cleaning once a year method(whether it needs it or not) needs some review... :-j
Last edited by Another Dang 9 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 am
Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:00 am I was always told cleaning .22 is not needed as it removes the wax that is beneficial to accuracy.
Depending on the quality of the chamber and barrel they may never need to be cleaned to cleaned after every session.... Most 3P/benchrest shooters clean after or during a event....

Most will preform better with a fresh clean and light fouling.
Rimfire benchrest cleans after every target which include 25 scoring shots, plus fouling and sighters....so about every 75 shots. That level of consistency isn't needed in silhouette, but YMMV.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I just put all my rifles in the dish washer about once a month. High heat, air dry - works great. Gets the scopes clean too.

Dustin
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:06 pm I just put all my rifles in the dish washer about once a month. High heat, air dry - works great. Gets the scopes clean too.

Dustin
Do you like the pods or the powder? I find the powder is a bit more aggressive if I have a truly dirty bore.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I was mentored in the beginning of my Silhouette career by a shooter who had held Smallbore benchrest titles in several states here in the east.
He always told me “ you clean a 22 Barrel when it doesn’t shoot well anymore” and o only run dry patches through the bore. Just clean the chamber with solvent like hoppes.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I was mentored in the beginning of my Silhouette career by a shooter who had held Smallbore benchrest titles in several states here in the east.
He always told me “ you clean a 22 Barrel when it doesn’t shoot well anymore” and o only run dry patches through the bore. Just clean the chamber with solvent like hoppes.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

AND, after cleaning the barrel follow up with Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner or J-B Bore Paste.

40-X made my 39A shoot significantly better.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."