.22 Mag as a PC?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

.22 Mag as a PC?

Post by ChuckD »

So I sold my 32-20 after some good result for me after last season. Just don't want to reload. 20 years of 5K rounds loaded a season has made me lazy.
I tried 3 different .22 mag rounds HDY critical defense, CCI and Federal 757.
At 50yards- HDY .4! CCI was 1.2" and Fed was 1.6"
So I moved to 100 yards and tied the 2 best- and was horrified! HDY was 3.2" an 4.6" for CCI. Was ready to throw the gun and ammo into the woods, and said what the hell, lets try the Ram paper target.
Shot 5 of each. Had 7 out of 10 hits, and if I had a better elevation guess, would have been a 9/10.
So needless to say I will use in a match. Just wondering if this is common experience. This is the first time I have shot a Silhouette Lever action rifle off the bench. Usually do all firing off hand, sighting and ammo evaluation.
Thanks
chuck
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: .22 Mag as a PC?

Post by JohnHenry »

Chuck, this method may help your groups. When I shoot a lever action rifle off a bench stand, I put a small folded towel under the forearm where it contacts the stand. This helps eliminate the muzzle jump when the shot is fired and the groups are much better. You might give it a try.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

I'm with you on that JH.
What we are trying to replicate, off the bench, is to "hold" the rifle in a similar position to what it would be offhand. Depending on your hold/style, that could mean that the rifle will be resting somewhere near the rear of the forewood, or even on the action. You would be surprised at the differences obtained at different positions.
If you go for a trawl through this site, I think you will also find a few posts relating to re-working the 22Mag ammo by way of pulling the bullet, altering the powder charge, and reseating the bullet. Apparently some users find it very successful.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Not all CCI ammo is equal. Did you try the TMJ (full metal jacket)? It shoots the best. Are you testing with a scope?

And JH is right, these leverguns are sensitive to bench technique.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

My wifes Henry and Steigers Uberti are a bit tighter then that at the rams. I'd play with your bench technique. 2-3" is "normal" with a preference for 2.... it's not a MOA gun.... ;)

+1 on the CCI TMJ 40gr. It seems to be the most accurate and stay together/transfer the most energy/not explode on impact.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Thanks All,

On the CC!- I have the 40 gr Maxi Mag- is that the same you refereed to?

Thanks
chuck
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

CCI part number 0023, 22 wmr maxi mag 40gr TMJ. Retains the most energy IMHO.... hollow points tend to explode on AR15 steel.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

As has been mentioned, the 40-grain FMJ ammo seems to work well even though no 22 Mag ammo will be 100% on pistol cartridge rams. The CCI described above works very well, but the Federal 737 shoots just a bit more accurately from my rifles.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/95311 ... tal-jacket

In our April pistol cartridge match, one our shooters (southpaw on here) cleaned the rams with the Federal 737 ammo.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Thanks again guys,
Ordered the TMJ and the Fe 737 to give a try. Nice to see what has worked to give a shot an not just spend $$ Thanks!
Cost a bit more, but no reloading.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

When I tested my 57m way back when, it liked the 50gr Federal the best. I had a scope on my rifle and registered 1” 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It seems, like most 22 ammo, it varies from gun to gun.
Good luck, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Way back when Fed 50 was good stuff. That changed about 5 years ago when SAAMI lowered the velocity spec for the bullet weight. Look elsewhere for a ram solution
- Joe
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

cedestech wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 am CCI part number 0023, 22 wmr maxi mag 40gr TMJ. Retains the most energy IMHO.... hollow points tend to explode on AR15 steel.
Are PC chickens AR15 steel at most clubs? What about AR500? I wouldn't shoot .22 CCI WMR 40 grain MAXIMAG at standard steel (A36). It will cause craters as seen in my picture. Standard steel pigs & turkeys will get damaged by that ammo too. The splash to the right of the crater is from a .22 Hornady Critical Defense WMR 45 grain FMJ hollow point. No damage and rams are going down with Hornady too.
Last edited by Sporty on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 am
cedestech wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 am CCI part number 0023, 22 wmr maxi mag 40gr TMJ. Retains the most energy IMHO.... hollow points tend to explode on AR15 steel.
Are PC chickens AR15 steel at most clubs? What about AR500? I wouldn't shoot .22 CCI WMR 40 grain MAXIMAG at standard steel (A34). It will cause craters as seen in my picture. Standard steel pigs & turkeys will get damaged by that ammo too. The splash to the right of the crater is from a .22 Hornady Critical Defense WMR 45 grain FMJ hollow point. No damage and rams are going down with Hornady too.
Honestly, we (she, they) shoot it at everything.

It sounds rude but if most non-ARplate steel animals are at the end of their life cycle by now and most people are replacing with AR steel. The damage is minimal.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

For clarity, is the damage shown in my picture acceptable as to not be disqualified?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:01 am For clarity, is the damage shown in my picture acceptable as to not be disqualified?
Your damage is negligible. ;)

FWIW, PC chickens catch hell. They are a consumable. If you are shooting something that is burning holes or cratering them that is one thing but poc marks are normal.