Henry's 20" vs 24"

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Henry's 20" vs 24"

Post by ChuckD »

Wondering how any of you that switched from the Henry 20" to the 24" are finding the accuracy?
I switched my RF and have yet to shoot a match, but feel the accuracy is on par with my Marlin 39A. It may be the sight distance, it may be the better fit. I have a 22Mag with the 20" and again haven't shot in a match.
Just curious on anyone else's results.

thanks
chuck
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Henry's 20" vs 24"

Post by Tlee »

Accuracy of the 24” Frontier I’ve tested (using AutoMatch and MiniMags) is definitely on par with the 3 Marlin 39A Rifles I have (when using the same, or similar, ammo). I do have one 39A that will do only slightly better (less than 1/2 MOA better), but only when using high end standard velocity ammo.

I will say that the eight Henry 22LR rifles I’ve tested seem to shoot well with just about any decent 22LR ammo (independent of length/model), whereas most of the Marlin 39As tend to show a definite preference for one particular ammo over another, sometimes a significant difference between brands or types.

Regarding the 20” versus 24” Frontiers, I wouldn’t say the 24” we have is significantly more accurate (I haven’t bench tested the 24” with a scope yet to verify), but it’s increased sight radius definitely helps with slightly more precise sight picture/aim.

My .02,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I didn't switch from the 20", but my 24" was shockingly accurate. I couldn't be more pleased.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I bought the 24 inch Frontier model to start with. I am well pleased with it. It has a very nice balance. I am very well satisfied with mine. Ken
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

After transitioning from a 16.5" Henry Evil Roy with a 13" LOP to a 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel (FLB) with a 14" LOP I easily went from AA to AAA in its first three matches with scores of 30, 32 & 33. And since that transition I got my first 10-pins ever for chickens, pigs & turkeys.

There's more to the transition. The carbine had Skinner sights on the barrel for a very short sight radius. The FLB has a Marble Arms Tang sight with a 30" sight radius. I find my hold with the FLB is very stable. The original front brass bead seldom wanders off the animal while aiming off-hand.

I hope this helps.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC