Aperture on shooting glasses - legal?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Aperture on shooting glasses - legal?

Post by BrentD »

I am not as familiar with LAS rules as I should be, but I know they have different sight rules than other disciplines. Hence, I am wondering if putting an aperture on my shooting glasses like this : http://www.eyepalusa.com/ would be legal. I do not believe it would be legal for BPCR, though I need to check that too, but I know Lever gun allows lots of things that BPCR does not.

I briefly tried one of these at a muzzleloader match, and it certainly helped with the front sight profile on a rifle with a 42" flintlock barrel. On my 24" barrel PC and SB rifles, it would be even more helpful I think.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Aperture on shooting glasses - legal?

Post by TheBugFather »

I don't SEE why it would be a problem.
Lets see what others think.
Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I've tried an aperture on my glasses that I use for handgun shooting - it didn't help much, but that's just me.

I have found that a medium and a small Lee Shaver aperture together in the front sight works for me. I shot a match yesterday with a large aperture and the "crosshair" insert together - Liked it, did well with it in Small Bore, but it didn't do as well in pistol cartridge. I believe it changed my point of impact from where I was sighed-in.

I can't see that an aperture on your glasses is any different than an aperture on your rear sight, or any advantage.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Byron
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Byron »

Brent
I believe that the aperture on your glasses are legal. I also believe that the combination that you used on the front aperture that included the crosshair is illegal.

Byron
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

From the 2017 rule changes available here, here are the allowed sights for lever action rifle silhouette rifles.
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle
a. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No extended
mounts are permitted. The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round
aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments
and no larger than a ¾” outside diameter, may be used.
Byron is correct in assessing that the combination of round aperture insert and crosshair insert is not allowed. The Lee Shaver insert that uses four thin wires to hold the center round aperture is allowed, but any insert that actually has the crosshairs crossing in the center is not allowed.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Jason wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:58 pm From the 2017 rule changes available here, here are the allowed sights for lever action rifle silhouette rifles.
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle
a. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No extended
mounts are permitted. The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round
aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments
and no larger than a ¾” outside diameter, may be used.
Byron is correct in assessing that the combination of round aperture insert and crosshair insert is not allowed. The Lee Shaver insert that uses four thin wires to hold the center round aperture is allowed, but any insert that actually has the crosshairs crossing in the center is not allowed.
The rule change 2017 is worded "The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture".
I don't think there is any way that a Lee Shaver "four thin wires" type insert can be interpreted as being round. The BPCR would probably allow it, being a type "typical of the era", but the LAS rule change allowed a round aperture as well as the previously allowed post or bead.

An aperture such as the Lyman or Merit, among others, temporarily affixed to your corrective lens spectacles, is used to improve the sight picture of the front sight, for those people who don't / can't use a prescription lens dedicated to shooting (cost / practicality?) Its use can not in any way be equated to having the same effect as the front sight aperture.

Call me pedantic if you like, but that's me.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

No1_49er wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm The rule change 2017 is worded "The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture".
I don't think there is any way that a Lee Shaver "four thin wires" type insert can be interpreted as being round. The BPCR would probably allow it, being a type "typical of the era", but the LAS rule change allowed a round aperture as well as the previously allowed post or bead.

An aperture such as the Lyman or Merit, among others, temporarily affixed to your corrective lens spectacles, is used to improve the sight picture of the front sight, for those people who don't / can't use a prescription lens dedicated to shooting (cost / practicality?) Its use can not in any way be equated to having the same effect as the front sight aperture.

Just to clarify, here's the type of inserts that I think are allowed from Lee Shaver with four thin wires to the non-magnified round aperture, just as I stated above. There is no interpretation necessary. I am not referring to the inserts that have wires that actually meet in the middle to form a crosshair. Are you saying that you believe that these are not allowed?

BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I think No1_49er has confused the 4 thin wires part for an insert where the wires outline a square box in the center (which would definitely not be legal) for the insert that Jason and Byron were referring to (definitely legal). I agree with Byron that the crossword in combination with the round aperture is not legal.

I was looking for reference in the rules for the Merit device. I vaguely remembered it but could not find a direct mention of it. Thank you.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Jason wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 pm
No1_49er wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm The rule change 2017 is worded "The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture".

Just to clarify, here's the type of inserts that I think are allowed from Lee Shaver with four thin wires to the non-magnified round aperture, just as I stated above. There is no interpretation necessary. I am not referring to the inserts that have wires that actually meet in the middle to form a crosshair. Are you saying that you believe that these are not allowed?

Thanks Jason.
See how easy it is to misconstrue what is written. I had thought that you meant this one http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/6x ... 80.jpg?c=2 the one at bottom left.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I did try the Shaver cross wire insert - no advantage. In fact is was difficult for my eyes to see the cross wires. I also tried the aperture and post, but the Shaver post is too high for me.

When the range open tomorrow I'm going to try a large aperture with a fiber optic sight in it...I have my doubts, but I want to try it.

What I'm using are two round aperture inserts together - one large ring and one medium ring - the result is a thicker circle. This works for me. YMMV.

Michael

Back to the original question. I tried the same brand of stick-on. Worked OK for pistol shooting , not for rifle shooing - yours eyes may get different results.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."