Front sight height for Marlin 60

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Front sight height for Marlin 60

Post by SqHunter »

What height front sight do you recommend for a Marlin 60?

We tried it this weekend with a Williams FP-GR-TK peep sight and the factory front sight and even with the rear sight on its lowest setting impact was still over two feet high at chickens. The factory front sight is built onto the ramp, so I ordered one with a dovetail cut that will allow me to use different front sights but I don't know what height to order. Any ideas? This is for a back up rifle, we had a malfunction with our 39a this weekend so want to have something else to take with us next time.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Front sight height for Marlin 60

Post by Sporty »

Skinner shows how to calculate how much taller your sight needs to be on their Technical Info page.

The following was copied from that page:

When you are unable to adjust the rear sight to work for your rifle because the rifle shoots high you will need a taller front sight. To eliminate the guesswork, you can calculate the additional height needed using the procedure below.
1. Shoot your rifle at a known range (say 50 yards). Note the distance you need the impact to change (say 6 inches lower).

2. Measure the sight radius of your rifle (22 inches on most Marlins).

3. The change needed is calculated by changing all measurements to inches then multiply the sight radius by the desired change in impact and divide that product by the range in inches.

4. The result is the additional height needed for the front sight. To get the height of the new front sight add the current height and the calculated number from (3).

Example:

I need to shoot 6 inches lower at 50 yards with my 1894, 44 Mag. With a 22 inch sight radius. My current front sight is .350” tall from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.

50 yards = 50X36=1800 inches

Desired height change is = 22 (sight radius)X6 (desired change)/1800(range)=.073 inches. My new front sight needs to be .350+.073 or .423 inches tall.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Interesting, thanks for posting that. I will give it a try. I was hoping to order the sight before our next range trip since it is so far from the house, but I might not get too.

Does anybody have experience with the 60? I thought several people here used them as back ups. I would appreciate your advice.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Rex,

You just need to bend the barrel down a little. Shouldn't take much.

Greg
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

GTS wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:48 am Rex,

You just need to bend the barrel down a little. Shouldn't take much.

Greg
No way, Lana will scalp me if I even scratch her rifle :shock:
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

For those that are looking to use the model 60 in cowboy, the Lyman 17a AHb (.404) will work but the rear sight bottoms out at chickens when using SK St+. I think the .494 AML would be better by putting you more to the middle of the Williams FP GR adjustment range, but I have not gotten to try it out yet. This is in conjunction with the Marlin replacement front sight base, I think it is .25 high.

Hope this helps.