new to Lever Action - need rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: new to Lever Action - need rifle

Post by CamP »

Shootmore, I'd really recommend forgetting the 39A and just get a new Henry long barrel Frontier. More than likely, you'll get a better rifle, you'll spend less money, and you can be shooting tomorrow.

Just got this one this morning and it shoots great. Trigger is better than my 39A, and groups very well on initial testing with CCI SV and lousy weather. Shot consistent 2" 10 shot groups at 100 meters with the target sights.

Last edited by CamP on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

It maybe cheaper, but it won't be more accurate and it WILL be more ugly.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Looks are subjective, but this new Henry is every bit as accurate as my low round count 1958 39A.

At least Henry is currently making new guns to support silhouette shooters. I think silhouette shooters should support companies that support the sport.

I like pretty guns, but one of the things that drew me to lever action silhouette was the abundance of down to earth folks and lack of gun snobbery.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Thanks CamP. I have a Henry on order now.

2" at 100 meters, what size target does Lever Action shoot at 100m? What kind of ammo does the Henry's like?

As a comparison, SB Silhouette game, our 100m rams are about 6 3/8" long and 3" (fat part). Our hunter rifles; CZ455 with an American 20" barrel and Anschutz 64 with a custom 26" barrel hold less than an 1" at 100m using Lapua Center-X ammo.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I haven't done any ammo testing, so I can't say if this rifle prefers a particular ammo. I can say it likes this batch of cci sv that I have.

The wind is light here this morning, so I just stepped outside and shot a 1.25" group at 100 meters.

Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

shootmore wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 am 2" at 100 meters, what size target does Lever Action shoot at 100m? What kind of ammo does the Henry's like?
The picture of full size animals I have in this post has 1" squares. Just count the squares and then divide by 2.

The metallic sighted Henry isn't particular over what ammo it shoots in the standing position.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I am shooting the CCI 40 grain Mini Mag in my 24" Henry Frontier. The only misses that I have had are mine. The rifle has not missed yet.