new to Lever Action - need rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: new to Lever Action - need rifle

Post by BrentD »

Sporty wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 am
As I mentioned earlier, the LOP is 14" for the Henry Frontier Long Barrel. You'll get a 30" sight radius with a Tang sight.
30" sight radius with a 24" barrel". Really? Is this a Winchester 73 type of action?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

sight radius.png
BrentD wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:55 am 30" sight radius with a 24" barrel". Really? Is this a Winchester 73 type of action?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

That is one LONG action and not even a 73 style from what I can see. Odd.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

I like and use the 39a. But the prices are nuts. The Henry is a great rifle for a better price point. There are other brands that will also work. You need to see what fits you. For sights I use a redfield. Again high price and no repart parts. Williams and Lyman are good sight. I also use them on other rifles. For front sight most use the Lyman 17a globe. I have taken the 17a off all my rifles and put on the normal front sight with a smaller post. I get a better front sight picture with the open front post. Good luck in setting up your rifle.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Thanks Frank!
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

BrentD wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:51 am That is one LONG action and not even a 73 style from what I can see. Odd.
Probably too short for Tom Selleck.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Sporty wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:00 am
BrentD wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:51 am That is one LONG action and not even a 73 style from what I can see. Odd.
Probably too short for Tom Selleck.
Tom Selleck shoot a lever action repeater? Perish the thought! :)
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

BrentD wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:07 am Tom Selleck shoot a lever action repeater? Perish the thought! :)
Tom Selleck has a lot of his rifles up for auction.

One is a 26" Marlin lever-action "Cowboy" edition 45-70.
Last edited by Sporty on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Decent price on the Marlin .45-70.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Ken Green wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm Another vote for the Henry Frontier with the 24" barrel. I bought mine because of the 24 inch barrel, thus a longer sight radius. It is way more accurate than I am. When I do miss a target, I can not blame the rifle. I know it is me and not the rifle that missed. I liked it enough that I bought a Henry Big Boy Classic in .357 magnum for pistol cartridge and the big bore matches.
Ken, will the .357 ring full size rams like the .22 Magnum sometimes rings half-size PC rams?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

Yes, the 357 mag will ring rams. I tried the 357 mag several years ago and found out it was a ram ringer. But I am still playing with a 357 mag ram load to see if I can get one to work . I use a 30-30 and just this year at the lever action round up I rang a ram. It was a good hit that rocked the ram back and forth. So my answer is yes the 357 mag will ring rams and the 30-30 will ring rams too, once in a while.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Thanks, Frank. Since I don't reload I'll skip trying to have a dual purpose .357 rifle. I got good results with a borrowed Marlin 336 shooting factory 150 & 170 grain rounds.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

shootmore wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 am
Is there a serial number or year to distinguish an older model Marlin 39a?
[/quote]

If you want a Marlin look for those stamped "JM". These seem to be the best years for the 39s. The "JM" stamp is on the barrel near the manufactures markings/caliber stamp.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I believe it was 1986 when Marlin started using the hammer block safety on the 39A. You can usually calculate the year of manufacture starting in the 1970's by taking the first two digits of the serial number and subtracting that from 100. For example, if the serial number starts with 21, then the rifle was made in 1979. The rifles without the hammer block safety are more desirable.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I like the older 39a that has a serial number that begins with a letter - I believe "A" numbers began in 1943. Mine is an "H" from 51. Somewhere in the mid to later 50s they switch from "Ballard" rifling (i.e., normal rifling) to microgroove rifling. I like the regular rifling that mine has but the microgrooves shoot well too. A rifle from this period in very good condition goes for just about exactly $500 these days.