Marlin .30-30 336 XLR SS maintenance issue

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Marlin .30-30 336 XLR SS maintenance issue

Post by Sporty »

I cannot remove the magazine tube plug. (See picture 18, page 18 of owner's manual) After removing the magazine plug screw the plug is loose but it won't easily come out to let me clean and lube the magazine spring and clean the follower. I was surprised because the manual gave me the impression the plug would pop out from the spring pressure. Any advice?
Marlin tube.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Marlin .30-30 336 XLR SS maintenance issue

Post by cedestech »

2 small pocket screw drivers and work it back and forth till you get it out. There is a burr holding it in. The screw is the only thing that holds it. You could also tape up the jaws on pliers and carefully grab it and pull while rocking.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I figured it out for the .30-30 XLR Stainless Steel model. The instructions don't include important specifics for that model. I referenced the part numbers found in the user manual

1. Unscrewing the magazine tube plug screw (#51) is the first thing done.
2. Unscrew the two forearm Tip Tenon screws (#28). Careful, because those screws are soft and very easily damaged. They should not be tightened with any force when assembling because they will shear. One screw head broke in half with my attempt to remove it and I sheared the other screw with less than 18 inch-pounds.
3. Gently tap the forearm (#25) nearest to the muzzle to pull the magazine tube (#48) away from the barrel. This will free the magazine tube plug (#50) from the magazine tube stud (#53) and allow access to the spring (#52) and follower (#49). That stud (#53) prevents the plug (#50) from coming out of the tube (#48) unless the tube is pulled away from the barrel.

Now, I need to order two replacement forearm tip tenon screws.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I’m sorry. I was thinking full-size tube like on a 92 or 94. Pulled the wife’s gun out and see what you’re talking about.

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Marlin gave me two blued tenon screws, for now. There must be a reason the stainless screws are on back order. Maybe too many other owners of the 336 XLR SS .30-30 have had the same issue as I when doing magazine tube maintenance.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Another sheared stainless screw with my Marlin 336 XLR Stainless. This time it's the Loading Spring Screw. It sheared with 15 inch pounds torque. I chatted with Marlin support and he said that only needs to be finger tight. I think 15 inch pounds is finger tight.

The magnification shows there's no metal in the screw body. Obviously, there's a quality control issue with some stainless steel screws Marlin had used with my 336 XLR Stainless .30-30

Marlin is replacing the screw and loading spring (loading gate) as a courtesy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I would try to source another screw. The new one may have the same problem.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

BrentD wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:37 pm I would try to source another screw. The new one may have the same problem.
After waiting a week for Remington to ship the replacement loading gate screw I found my own in a box of miscellaneous screws from decades past. The sheared screw was easily removed from the loading gate with a pencil eraser.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli