Rifle for big bore lever gun

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Rifle for big bore lever gun

Post by Number10GI »

I'm looking for suggestions on a rifle for the big bore lever gun class. I'm thinking 30-30 but many times my thinking isn't always correct. I do want a 24" or longer barrel for the extra sight radius, any thing to aid my aging eyes. Now if people are shooting 20" models and it works that will make my selection much easier. I was interested in the one cedestech mentioned on the marketplace page, a Winchester 94 Centennial 66. As usual I procrastinated too long and it sold. There are a couple on gunbroker.com but they are asking $750 and $799 and are supposed to be NIB. I don't really want to pay extra for a NIB commemorative edition when I intend on shooting it, however if that is a good price for a Winchester I may buy one of them. I've been looking at the Marlin 336 XLR as it has a 24" barrel but it is in stainless with a laminated stock which doesn't have that traditional look. I do have a Rossi 92 in .44 Mag that is stainless so I won't discount the Marlin. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I want to buy once and cry once.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Rifle for big bore lever gun

Post by BrentD »

Instead of a 30-30 that you make go fast, consider A 38-55 and make it go slow. Much more comfortable. Just a thought.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

30-30 is a favorite for several reasons.

Rifles are cheap and plentiful. I have and have seen other successfully shoot everything from 18" carbine 336 to 26" octogon 94.
It's a tool, unless you just REALLY want new and pretty (which they are out there) any used rifle you find with a moderate amount of use will still be pretty much new on the inside. No one shoots a 30-30 as much as someone shooting CLA a couple times a year. Most get less then a box down them a year. 30-30 is not a barrel burner so barrel life is practically forever.

30-30 is cheap to buy factory ammo or reload. White box Winchester 150gr will go across all 3 animals and 2MOA all day long, take down (depending on the ram, wind and setting) will usually be 95+%. I have seen rams rung with 170 gr factory ammo. Depending on where and when you buy it I have seen white box go for +/- $13 a box of 20. It is cheap and easy to download or full power reload if you prefer with decent brass life.

There are plenty of calibers that people use successfully and all have their pluses and minuses. 30-30 is just easy.

I personally shoot a 26" 94 and a couple of the reasons are it's very accurate, was able to get a reasonable trigger with little effort, good sight radius and the heavy gun does 2 things, I like the weight and it takes some of the starch out of a factory 30-30 round.

The Marlin XLR's are a good value right now also but a new one will need some love. It's accurate but will need trigger work and smoothing. The one I bought my wife would cut you from several places just handling it.

Lots of people shoot 38-55 and 357 also. 357 is more along the lines if you just don't want to purchase another rifle. They are 99% effective on the first 3 animals and depending on how you load it and conditions can be 75+% effective on the rams.

I have no input on the 38-55 other then I have heard the recoil is lighter but there is more of a mortar round trajectory out to the rams but they throw a big peice of lead that makes up for the lack of speed. The target is smaller when coming in from top though.

Jump in, buy a rifle and if you don't like it, buy a couple more.... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

cedestech wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 am
I have no input on the 38-55 other then I have heard the recoil is lighter but there is more of a mortar round trajectory out to the rams but they throw a big peice of lead that makes up for the lack of speed. The target is smaller when coming in from top though.

Jump in, buy a rifle and if you don't like it, buy a couple more.... :)
Technically true, but calculate the difference first. Its smaller than small. Lots of people have avreally poor understanding if the trajectories of traditional cartridges.

I don't claim to be an expert lever gunner, but the bigger bores are so much more enjoyable to shoot if loaded slow.

You also get a little more bullet diameter for those "missed by a whisker" shots, which probably more than makes up for angle issue.

If my .45-70 was a legal gun, I'd try that too. A friend has one that shoots very soft.
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Post by emmettva »

I also like the Win 94 Commemoratives (esp the 1866 or Teddy Roosevelt"brass" receivers and the Buffalo Bill) as they are heavy ( helps offhand steadiness and weight no prob since i am not dragging it thru the woods and also dampens recoil) with 26 in octagonal barrels for sight radius and once they are fired by a former owner they no longer can command the collector price tags say 650 or less at local gun shows or GB or even your local pawn shop-- just be ready to dicker- I am really liking cast 30 30 loads of late and am also considering reboring one to to 38-55 by JES for less than $300 to my door in 3 weeks or so. Using a 250-260 grain cast bullet in a rebored 38-55 means you can get away with at least 50% less retained velocity at the ram yet get the same momentum as compared to a 170 grain 30-30 slug for less recoil overall-- and really softer loads at the lesser distances for the other critters. I feel they also "hang" better offhand than my 24" marlin 336cb in 38-55 --while i am not selling it it simply doesnt work as well for me offhand and they are going for quite a bit more $. The Winchester Legendary Frontiersman 94 commemorative is lighter and has a shorter 24" round barrel but is in 38-55 and can be found for under 1K.
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

The choice of 3030 is the favorite of most cla shooters. I have used a 357 mag with good results. Rams have been rung but it depends on the range you shoot at. Good rails and targets and you will knock them over. I use a 158 plated with 6 grs of titegroup on the first three. Try 180 gr with 14 grs h110 for rams. I have come to the realty that hitting the first three animals is were this game is won. Ram distance no matter who the shooter is can be the hardest. The 44 mag will have to be loaded hot for rams for best results. To slow and you can see the wide spiral of bullet travel. A friend of mine has been trying a new powder with 150 plated in 3030 with good results. Further testing to follow. I use 24grs varget with 150 grs plated on first three and 170 grs on rams with the 3030.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

I'll add, the Winchester 94s pitch their brass out the top and are little harder to control than a side eject Marlin, although it can be managed.
I have and prefer a 24" barrel, but I regularly get outshot by guys with 20" barrels, so shoot what you like or have.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Any of the Winchester Commemoratives in 30-30 is the most popular. The shoot very well and the triggers are not hard to make shootable. I use a 125 grain for the first 3 and a 170 grain on Rams with Varget in all of them.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

For whatever reason, the Win 94 Canadian Centennial's always sell for less than the other commemoratives, and there are usually a bunch of them on GB. If you are even a little patient you should be able to pick up one for $500-$600. Just be sure you are looking at the 26" rifle and not the SRC.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

GTS is correct, I have a Cunnuck gun...

One thing I forgot and no one has mentioned is the commemoratives come with a crescent butt plate. Not optimum. My wood was damaged so it didn't bother me one bit to have a gunsmith cut the crescent off and install a nice white line pachmayr recoil pad. There again, takes some of the snap out of factory rounds.

If you can find the shot gun butt one (don't remember the name) it may be worth a few hundred more for the simple fact you don't have to cut it.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

I would go with the same brand that you use in smallbore and pistol cartridge. That way you have the same rifle style for all three matches. Nothing wrong with a 20 inch barrel 30-30. I used one until I found a 336 waffle top marlin.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Something new on the market:
A news straight wall .35 cartridge from Winchester - I assume it will be available in a lever gun.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01 ... 50-legend/

https://woodburyoutfitters.com/the-trai ... cartridge/

Might be interesting to see how this one works.

Michael
Last edited by snaketail2 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

snaketail2 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:22 am Something new on the market:
A news straight wall .35 cartridge from Winchester - I assume it will be available in a lever gun.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01 ... 50-legend/

https://woodburyoutfitters.com/the-trai ... cartridge/

Might be interesting to see how this one works.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

GTS wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:48 pm For whatever reason, the Win 94 Canadian Centennial's always sell for less than the other commemoratives, and there are usually a bunch of them on GB. If you are even a little patient you should be able to pick up one for $500-$600. Just be sure you are looking at the 26" rifle and not the SRC.
Yep. I found a NOS unfired Canadian for $525 on gunbroker. It was a steal.
cedestech wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm GTS is correct, I have a Cunnuck gun...

One thing I forgot and no one has mentioned is the commemoratives come with a crescent butt plate. Not optimum. My wood was damaged so it didn't bother me one bit to have a gunsmith cut the crescent off and install a nice white line pachmayr recoil pad. There again, takes some of the snap out of factory rounds.

If you can find the shot gun butt one (don't remember the name) it may be worth a few hundred more for the simple fact you don't have to cut it.
I think it's the Classic Centennial? I'm not sure. I have to pick mine up from the buttstock getting cut off today actually.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Doodaddy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 am
GTS wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:48 pm For whatever reason, the Win 94 Canadian Centennial's always sell for less than the other commemoratives, and there are usually a bunch of them on GB. If you are even a little patient you should be able to pick up one for $500-$600. Just be sure you are looking at the 26" rifle and not the SRC.
Yep. I found a NOS unfired Canadian for $525 on gunbroker. It was a steal.
cedestech wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm GTS is correct, I have a Cunnuck gun...

I think it's the Classic Centennial? I'm not sure. I have to pick mine up from the buttstock getting cut off today actually.
I believe you are correct.