This works - Adjustable Aperture

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Walter Johnson
B Poster
B Poster

This works - Adjustable Aperture

Post by Walter Johnson »

I bought a gehmann aperture linked here:
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... ccessories

Happy with the range of adjustment, it covers diameters larger and smaller than I use.

Photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/PaTEhJt

The williams site is only partially tapped. In my photos the Gehmann site is threaded until bottomed out in the Williams site.

Near the last photos I show a lock nut sold with the Gehmann. However the lock nut is too big to use on the Williams site. It could be made to work if you remove some material from the Williams site. I plan to shoot it without the nut and use semi permanent lock tight instead.

I have not shot with it yet.
Last edited by Walter Johnson on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: This works - Adjustable Aperture

Post by cedestech »

I use the same Gehman on a redfield 75 on my 66. Works great.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Walter Johnson wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:40 pm I bought a gehmann aperture linked here:
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... ccessories

Happy with the range of adjustment, it covers diameters lager and smaller than I use.

Photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/PaTEhJt

The williams site is only partially tapped. In my photos the Gehmann site is threaded until bottomed out in the Williams site.

Near the last photos I show a lock nut sold with the Gehmann. However the lock nut is too big to use on the Williams site. It could be made to work if you remove some material from the Williams site. I plan to shoot it without the nut and use semi permanent lock tight instead.

I have not shot with it yet.
And, if you really like an aperture front sight, you might use this combo: -
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... ights-apps + https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... ights-apps

Very appropriately less than 3/4" diameter.
But then again, we don't really want an equipment race, do we?!

3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle – The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shooting competitions.
Walter Johnson
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Walter Johnson »

To each their own.

I like my Lyman front site.

I like nice equipment.

I follow the rules.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

My wife shoots bead/post front sight and buckhorn rear.... if she practiced she'd shoot master scores no problem.... I don't care what the sight system is , you still have to hit the target....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Thank you for sharing the link to the Gehman rear iris. I need another Merit who’s now out of business. I’m not convinced the front sight combination will conform to the overall length rule.
- Joe
Walter Johnson
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Walter Johnson »

edgehit wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm Thank you for sharing the link to the Gehman rear iris. I need another Merit who’s now out of business. I’m not convinced the front sight combination will conform to the overall length rule.
Glad to help. I wanted to buy merits last year myself and found they are unobtanium.

I plan to run a gehman on all three guns now.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

edgehit wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm I’m not convinced the front sight combination will conform to the overall length rule.
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle –
a. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments and no larger than a 3/4” outside diameter, may be used.

Oh, sure it will.

1 1/8" = 28.575mm. The Gehmann tunnel is 22mm, which leaves 6.575mm available for that part of the aperture insert to extend beyond the tunnel.
If that results in excessive length, Gehmann have very conveniently provided a starting slot from which the compete cut off can be made. That would remove +/_ 7mm. Result - well within the length rule.

But we wouldn't want an equipment race, would we :lol:

I haven't traveled that road with the front sight combo, but it would be legal.

3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle – The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shooting competitions.

Ultimately, it's about the spirit of the rule intent.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I don't know if the "adjustable" part of the front aperture is legal? Thought I saw something about it not being.

Apertures are legal but have to be an insert, I believe.

There is no advantage other then not replacing the insert for changing size.

I am sure their are people who like them but I couldn't get them to work any better then a post or bead and found holding off to be very trouble some.

To each their own though and I wouldn't have a problem with someone showing up with it. Still have to shoot the target.

:mrgreen: