"Post or Bead insert..."

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

"Post or Bead insert..."

Post by cedestech »

So I have been playing with this insert. Trying to decide if I really like it enough to bring it up. I do...

3.1.3 , sub (a) reads "The front sights must be a post or bead or if changeable inserts, may use a post or bead insert only."

I define this insert as a bead...

What say you? How do I get a definitive ruling BEFORE I use it in a state or national match and have it protested or not make it though tech?

That is a fiber optic insert in the middle.

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: "Post or Bead insert..."

Post by snaketail2 »

People in Raton will pitch a fit...just because they can.
However, I'd think it not a traditional bead and not allowed. But I've been wrong before.
Im sure there will be additional comments.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Emmett, although the rule book on the NRA site was apparently never updated, the rule was changed in 2017 to read:
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle
a. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No extended mounts are permitted. The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments and no larger than a ¾” outside diameter, may be used. Based on this, even if one were to call your sight an aperture, I believe it would be legal, assuming the fiber optic does not exceed the length limitation. Dan
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

The fiber insert is the same length as used in the post inserts...

Who would I get a ruling on BEFORE going to the Texas State match in May...

I really don't care to be protested.

I don't find it more advantageous per say, I just like it.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

FWIW, I say "Aperture". Very small, yes, and filled with a light transmitting fiber.
See image for MY interpretation: -

rsz_globe_inserts_1.png

Others may disagree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

No1_49er wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 pm FWIW, I say "Aperture". Very small, yes, and filled with a light transmitting fiber.
See image for MY interpretation: -

rsz_globe_inserts_1.png

Others may disagree.
To argue the point, it is either a bead suspended from the sides or a very small aperture suspended from the sides like the upper right hand picture. I have sent a email to Aaron asking if I can get a thumbs up or down before the Texas state match in May. I have random moments of clarity where I shoot reasonable scores and would prefer not to have it taken away by a protest on what I know is not a well defined piece of equipment.

FWIW I feel you should be able to shoot anything you want that will fit into a glare tube that is of legal size. You sill have to stand there and break the shot. The aiming point you are using is preference. It doesn't increase the performance of your rifle. I know your next argument would be people using adjustable apertures but since there is no rule preventing you from changing apertures between animals you basically have that now.

I know a lot of people use fiber optic material. Where is that in the rule book?
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

It is in rule 3.1.3 a.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I just received an email reply from Mr. Farmer and he agrees it's a bead insert.

Anyone interested, here is the guy who makes the inserts. He's not quick but the quality is very good. Also if you want fiber optic material you'll need to source that out yourself.

http://distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPages/D ... eSheet.htm
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Al Faust still makes great bead inserts with fiber optic in them already. Check the market place.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I have used Al’s before. I make my own now. :-)

I saw this insert about a year ago and I like the fact that I can get different MOA bead sizes. I am blind, so I need a big honking dot. ;)
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

GTS wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 am It is in rule 3.1.3 a.
It is disappointing that the Rule Book (revised May 2018) as currently available (here: - https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... ule-books/ ) does not incorporate the addendum that had previously been posted at that link, from where I downloaded a copy in November 2017, which declares that "The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture."

If the Rule Book has been Revised (??) why is that not included?

Until, and unless, the likes of that change are actually in the Rule Book, surely any notice of change/addendum should remain on the web site else there will be endless argument as to whether the change was actually made.
Cowboy Lever Action - front aperture sight.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I don't think Mr. Farmer writes or interperts the rules. I wouldn't feel comfortable until I get word from the Silhouette committee. Those are the people who will make the decision. Al Foust probably can read those tea leaves better. If nothing else I'll protest you at the Texas match so we can get a ruling.
:ymdevil: Ya know, if you didn't shoot so darn well no one would care..............just sayin

I'm thinkin Bule corn chips tonite. Red salsa and and adult beverage....
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Maybe I'll go to no insert and just let The Force guild my shot...
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

psteiger wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 pm I don't think Mr. Farmer writes or interperts the rules. I wouldn't feel comfortable until I get word from the Silhouette committee. Those are the people who will make the decision. Al Foust probably can read those tea leaves better. If nothing else I'll protest you at the Texas match so we can get a ruling.
:ymdevil: Ya know, if you didn't shoot so darn well no one would care..............just sayin

I'm thinkin Bule corn chips tonite. Red salsa and and adult beverage....
That's a valid suggestion. Present it to the Silhouette Committee at the end of the year for a definitive ruling.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

“Just when I think i’m out; they pull me back in”.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member