Scoped Lever action silhouette

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Scoped Lever action silhouette

Post by lijeboy »

The following is 3.1.3 from the Silhouette Rules in 2006. The rule has definitely been watered down in the past 13 years.

"3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - Listed below are the three classes of Cowboy Silhouette Rifles. The below listed rules apply to all classes of rifles. (The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shooting competitions.)

1. Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle they are mounted on. No Olympic type sights or extended mounts are permitted. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be hooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only."
(Emphasis mine)

A few years ago, the outcry was for fiber optics, then apertures. What's next?

A lot has changed and we're getting farther and farther away from the original intent of the sport.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

lijeboy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:52 pm A few years ago, the outcry was for fiber optics, then apertures. What's next?
It appears that scopes are next.

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Teresa shot a 34 today with her 24" Henry with a bead insert 17a and buckhorn rear sights....

If I could just get her to practice a bit...

=))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

The reason why there is a creep in what kind of sights people are using, could be because of the time and effort dedicated to the sport. Does it make sense to spend a few hours loading ammo, then driving an hour or two to a match, just to miss because the sights are barrel mounted and and cant be adjusted? No, so peep sights were allowed.

I don't feel like spending a thousand dollars or two (and my even more limited vacation) going to the nationals just to be frustrated by the inability of the sights/gun to hit what I aim at.

Hence you have people pushing the rules for more accurate guns. This is a competition at the end of the day. And people want to win. So people will try to find a way to make more accurate rifles. Repeatable sights are one of the biggest ways to make the lever gun more accurate.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

My sights are fine(post front tang sight rear) barrel is good. Ammo works. Its me that needs improvement and all the fancy doodads won't fix that.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

High Power Service Rifle went scope 3 years ago. Scores are about the same. I think its the same shooters getting older, needing the scope to see.
Keeps more shooters shooting. I"m actually going back to HP because of the scope. All sports need to look at change. At least those who want to survive.
"we've always gone t that way" isn't necessarily a good reason not to change in 2019.
chuck
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Did the NRA have to allow scopes in high power service rifle because current U.S. military rifles use some form of scope such as the acog and the eotech sometimes with magnifiers or was it merely a request by aging service rifle competitors? I watched a Vietnam documentary the other day and lo and behold there was a enlisted army guy holding a 20 inch barrel M-16 with what looked like a Redfield hunting scope. Going by that they could have used scopes in service rifle since the 1960's. My way of thinking is that if a service rifle competitor wants to use optics, they should be required to use a 16 inch government profile barrel, a telescoping stock, and no added weight anywhere.