Winchester 1894 rebounding hammer...

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Winchester 1894 rebounding hammer...

Post by cedestech »

So I might have purchased a really clean 1894/1994 26" half octogon/round that is really pretty....

I have googled a bit and it seems that you can replace the rebounding hammer with a complete tang/hammer/trigger from a non-rebounding model to get rid of it.

Or can you get a reasonably consistant trigger out of a rebounding hammer assymbly?

Inquiring minds want to know...

:)

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Winchester 1894 rebounding hammer...

Post by edgehit »

Rebounding hammer parts are scarce. Go slow and don’t trim too much off the yoke and you should be fine. If you trim off too much from the yoke, you’re screwed. I worked over a Japanese 92 takedown rebounding hammer and it’s very clean. I kinda like it as it has very fast lock time for a levergun. There’s a Gunsmithing in Fort Worth who’ll eliminate the rebound altogether and slick it up nicely if you want to get a pro.
- Joe
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Joe is right about ruining the spring guide if you trim too much off the rebounding yoke. I did that to a spare before figuring out to limit shortening it by about .030" on my US made gun. If you have a Miroku gun, that dimension may differ.

I also installed a reduced power hammer spring from Wolf. I think I ended up with the 15# as the 13# would occasional not light the primer.

Those things helped, but the trigger was still a poor 6lbs, so I had it slicked up by Fred Bursey at Goatneck Clem gunsmith. He got the trigger pull down to an acceptable 3lbs.

http://www.goatneckclemgunsmithing.com/
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Emmett, I have been shooting that exact same gun since 2004 unmodified in any way with zero issues. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:52 am Emmett, I have been shooting that exact same gun since 2004 unmodified in any way with zero issues. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I picked it up on a lark. Don't really "need" it but it is pretty....

It's been shot very little, bet not even a box has been through it. Has some safe bumps on the wood and metal and no box so it's not a "collector".
Think I will run some ammo down it and make sure it shoots before I go doing surgery. The trigger is heavy and my google-fu says some people have problems with inconsistent primer strikes with the rebounding hammer (plus I think it's ridiculous) I can live with the cross bolt safety or remove it easy enough.

I figured if there was information to be had it'd be here. Most people that shoot CLA shoot their 30/30 more in one year then other people do in a lifetime.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

As I said. Ive been shooting mine "as is" since 2004. No idea how many rounds down it but plenty more than normal. Never had a failure to fire or any other issue with the rebounding hammer. I found it weird too at first but I dont even notice anymore. You're more than welcome to " fix" it but I think the problems people have with them is when they do "fix" them. Most gunsmiths don't know enough about those hammers in my opinion and try to "fix" them like its a normal 94. Shoot it as is for a while. If you just can't stand it then have it "fixed". But I wouldn't. JMO. I did buy it new in the box and still have the box. Ive seen them for sale up here for $1500 and they all look like someone dragged them behind a truck or they were "fixed" and thats why they were being sold. I'll never sell mine.
NRA Endowment Member
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Emmett. I can feel your anguish. But seeing as you have contributed so much to our sport, I will step up and offer to take it off your hands before the stress and strain of it all causes you to seek professional help.
However, the best solution to relieve this or any issue that Life throws at us, is the smell of burning rifle powder. JMHO.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Emmett one thing I do know and that is that gun never had sling mounts. Don't know who or why they put them on it but its not a factory item.
Also you will notice felt recoil more as the gun is much lighter than one with a full octagonal barrel which I'm switching to this year.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am Emmett one thing I do know and that is that gun never had sling mounts. Don't know who or why they put them on it but its not a factory item.
Also you will notice felt recoil more as the gun is much lighter than one with a full octagonal barrel which I'm switching to this year.
I bought it on a lark because I had never seen one. I have been shooting a Canadian Centennial for years. I figured I'd fondle it a bit and worse case use it as trade fodder.

Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I really like mine. Ive seen others on the line too but most don't shoot them often. I dont even mind the recoil. I did buy a new 94 centennial with a full octagonal barrel that I'm waiting for good weather so I can get out and shoot it. When it proves to be accurate ill retire my ol' pal. Hard to believe that that is the low end example of that gun. There is a AA grade and AAA grade as well but I've never seen one.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Apparently there is this one that is the low grade, the mid grade that has a different roll pattern and the animals are silver and gold plated with a marble tang sight then the "special order"....

I've had 3 of the centennials. From what I have heard and what I have seen, they all shoot. Mine shoots great.