Reloading

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Reloading

Post by Sporty »

I never tried to reload ammo. People have been suggesting that I should reload my own. I found a YouTube video of a Lee Precision .38 SPL Loader. Although it looked tedious, I figured so what. I'm retired. However I noticed this caution from the manufacturer, "Please note: the Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only. This is not recommended for semi, pump and Lever Action guns." My emphasis for clarity.

Because of my lack of reloading experience, I don't know what the problem is with only neck sizing when firing with a lever action rifle. What is missing if the Classic Lee Loader should not be used for ammo fired with lever action rifles?

What do I need?

This is what isn't recommended for lever action rifles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Reloading

Post by Sporty »

Here's the YouTube video that Shows how to use the Lee Precision .38 SPL Loader.
Last edited by Sporty on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Not familiar with Lee’s whack a mole system but my guess is the seating die doesn’t crimp. If you truely want to “try reloading” buy the cheapest Lee single stage kit and watch some videos and talk to people you trust. It’s addictive and you can get ammo more suited to what you are wanting to accomplish. That whack a mole system will probably frustrate more then satisfy your curiosity.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I went to the Lee website and got a little more detail.

"Please note, the Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only the neck area (where the bullet is seated). The rest of the case retains its fire formed dimensions. This is not recommended for semi, pump and lever action guns. When you use this tool it is best to reload only those cases that have last been fired in the gun you intend to reload the cartridges for. If you plan to try to reload cases that were last fired in a gun other than the gun you are reloading for, you must check each case to make sure it chambers in each chamber of the cylinder of the gun in which you plan to fire the ammunition."

I guess I would need a Lee 38 SPL Pistol 4-Die Set that has a full length sizer.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

-Charlie (Lee) Meli
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Reloading is not difficult. I can do it and I taught myself BUT forget that Lee thing. They make some good stuff but that is not what you want. You need to get at least one reloading manual and READ it. It should explain almost everything for you. You probably don't know enough to ask good questions yet. That is not meant as an insult, it's just where you are with this at this point. I started with the Lyman reloading manual and I recommend that as a good starting point.
Reloading can be tedious and you need to take care but I find it quite rewarding. Reloading is not for everyone though. Some of my friends love it and others will do anything to avoid it.
Good luck whatever you choose.
Rick Bassett
Richard
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Only Lee products I find of any real value to someone who will be loading a lot is the hand held primer tool and the factory crimp dies. The single stage press they sell is fine if you travel and want something light as its made of aluminum. But for any serious rifle loading get either an RCBS or a Redding. They cost much more but will last a lifetime or three. Look in the local want ads for old ones.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

richard wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:41 pm Reloading is not difficult. I can do it and I taught myself BUT forget that Lee thing. They make some good stuff but that is not what you want. You need to get at least one reloading manual and READ it. It should explain almost everything for you. You probably don't know enough to ask good questions yet. That is not meant as an insult, it's just where you are with this at this point. I started with the Lyman reloading manual and I recommend that as a good starting point.
Reloading can be tedious and you need to take care but I find it quite rewarding. Reloading is not for everyone though. Some of my friends love it and others will do anything to avoid it.
Rick Bassett
:-BD
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm The Only Lee products I find of any real value to someone who will be loading a lot is the hand held primer tool and the factory crimp dies. The single stage press they sell is fine if you travel and want something light as its made of aluminum. But for any serious rifle loading get either an RCBS or a Redding. They cost much more but will last a lifetime or three. Look in the local want ads for old ones.
Understood. When I worked for a living I had a tendency to get top of the line stuff. Now, at 70 and on a fixed income I have to give careful consideration as to what to do. Today, I had help from close friends and have a better realization of what is needed to get started. I priced all the loading stuff as if they were purchased new.

Speaking of lifetime and not trying to be morbid, I'm now leaning towards continuing with buying proven factory ammo. I can purchase 2000 .38 SPL rounds for PC matches for the cost of RCBS or Redding systems. That could be enough ammo for the rest of my life. However, I would miss out on the fun with finding the best subsonic load.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

richard wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:41 pm Reloading is not difficult. I can do it and I taught myself BUT forget that Lee thing. They make some good stuff but that is not what you want. You need to get at least one reloading manual and READ it. It should explain almost everything for you. You probably don't know enough to ask good questions yet. That is not meant as an insult, it's just where you are with this at this point. I started with the Lyman reloading manual and I recommend that as a good starting point.
Rick Bassett
Thanks Rick!
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm
Another Dang 9 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm The Only Lee products I find of any real value to someone who will be loading a lot is the hand held primer tool and the factory crimp dies. The single stage press they sell is fine if you travel and want something light as its made of aluminum. But for any serious rifle loading get either an RCBS or a Redding. They cost much more but will last a lifetime or three. Look in the local want ads for old ones.
Understood. When I worked for a living I had a tendency to get top of the line stuff. Now, at 70 and on a fixed income I have to give careful consideration as to what to do. Today, I had help from close friends and have a better realization of what is needed to get started. I priced all the loading stuff as if they were purchased new.

Speaking of lifetime and not trying to be morbid, I'm now leaning towards continuing with buying proven factory ammo. I can purchase 2000 .38 SPL rounds for PC matches for the cost of RCBS or Redding systems. That could be enough ammo for the rest of my life. However, I would miss out on the fun with finding the best subsonic load.
That is actually very sound thinking. If you are only shooting one caliber you need to reload for and you can purchase factory ammo that is accurate...

Done.

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

If you can buy 38 special ammo at a good price and never have to reload then go that route. You can even sell the empty brass to someone who loads to offset your cost! Once fired brass will sell.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

I dipped my toes into reloading with the Lee Hand Press kit and a set of Lee Dies. For about $75 I was up and running loading 22 Hornet for Hunters Pistol. It was slow, but it worked. Factory Hornet ammo was way too hot for silhouette. Just be prepared to start spending more money if you want to load more accurate rounds. You'll need a good manual, a powder scale and trickler, a tumbler to clean your brass, loading trays, etc. etc. etc. I was quickly up over $350 just for the basic kit . . . I will tell you, though, that reloading becomes a hobby in and of itself. Heck, nowadays I sometimes buy new guns just so I can try reloading a new caliber. I'm weird that way.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

DJA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:46 pm ... a tumbler to clean your brass ...
I got a 4th squib today in a match from factory .38 Special ammo. It was a new lot that was supposed to be a "known good" lot according to a Geco Quality Control manager. Now, I'm taking another look at reloading.

A Vibratory Case Tumbler seems inexpensive ($40). Would I need an ultrasonic cleaner too?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:27 pm
DJA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:46 pm ... a tumbler to clean your brass ...
I got a 4th squib today in a match from factory .38 Special ammo. It was a new lot that was supposed to be a "known good" lot according to a Geco Quality Control manager. Now, I'm taking another look at reloading.

A Vibratory Case Tumbler seems inexpensive ($40). Would I need an ultrasonic cleaner too?
If your just loading 38 you’d need neither.

Did you lighten your hammer spring?

Can you post a pic of fired case and dude case primers?