Spotting

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Spotting

Post by edgehit »

This is a worthwhile topic and glad it was brought up. Here’s a few more nuggets.

A good spotter can describe the bullets position in a manner so that the shooter doesn’t need to look at a spot board. This takes some team planning and practice to perfect. A good call method is referencing body parts instead of “left or right” side. The reason for this is to avoid the brain’s common error of reversing left and right under stress.

A good spotter will also point out bullet impact location trends then emphasize a need for the shooter to make an adjustment. If the first 3 shots in a row fall on a pigs belly line and no adjustment is made I predict a missed pig is coming. Point it out. Challenge the shooter to make change or admit that’s consistent with sight picture when the shot broke.

Watch the wind and learn how it affects drift. This is another topic in itself and not significant on these big targets. Buts there’s been matches won and lost because a veteran team managed wind.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:46 am This is a worthwhile topic and glad it was brought up. Here’s a few more nuggets.

A good spotter can describe the bullets position in a manner so that the shooter doesn’t need to look at a spot board. This takes some team planning and practice to perfect. A good call method is referencing body parts instead of “left or right” side. The reason for this is to avoid the brain’s common error of reversing left and right under stress.

A good spotter will also point out bullet impact location trends then emphasize a need for the shooter to make an adjustment. If the first 3 shots in a row fall on a pigs belly line and no adjustment is made I predict a missed pig is coming. Point it out. Challenge the shooter to make change or admit that’s consistent with sight picture when the shot broke.

Watch the wind and learn how it affects drift. This is another topic in itself and not significant on these big targets. Buts there’s been matches won and lost because a veteran team managed wind.
To be fair, that is personal preference. Some people are very verbal, which is fine. Some people (me) are very visual. It is far easier/quicker to glance at a spotting board then process verbal communication.... That is something that has to be worked out between the spotter and shooter. Anytime I spot for someone that I don't shoot with I work that out with them BEFORE we start.... same when I am shooting I let them know my preference.

Someone said earlier about being able to call your shots and that is extremely important. If you can't call your shots or your hold is that loose that you can't stay on he animal... the best spotter on the planet isn't going to help you.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I've shot with some of he best, and worst spotters out there.
A Good Spotter:
* STANDS behind the shooter and either tells there the bullet hit, or uses a board to indicate where the bullet strike was.
*Minimal talking
*Advises shooter of patterns developing ("you are consistently left...)
*Knows the game and the lingo.
*is a team-member with the shooter, both want the same goal.
*Is rare and difficult find - be nice to good spotters!

A Bad Spotter...well, you know them. no need to describe.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Update on Canon IS II 10X30 Binoculars....

We've been using them for over a year. I used them scoring a shootoff at the Nationals (CLA) and called a hit for the shooter that their spotter called a miss... was a edge hit and the splash was a good 5' away from the animal, he saw the splash but not the edge hit strike before.

Lenses are very good quality. Stabilization works fantastic....

We've dropped them several times and I finally dropped them from beyond their build sheet..... about 3.5' straight onto the front edge of the housing....

They seemed to work OK but I noticed they were "jittery".... and it started getting worse.

Called into Canon, got a repair label, sent them in. Repair bill a bit less then half the replacement cost. Turn around time from sent to received, 3-4 weeks.

Would I buy them again.... absolutely... we spotted this weekend with the Nikons we had before these.... Unable to see the missed splashes.... and hard to stay on the animal focused.

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?