Which 30-30 for Lever Action Rifle Silhouette

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Which 30-30 for Lever Action Rifle Silhouette

Post by shootmore »

We are looking at the Henry H009CC 20" octagon barrel.
Which is the best 30-30 for lever action Rifle Silhouette?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Which 30-30 for Lever Action Rifle Silhouette

Post by cedestech »

That is like asking which motor oil to use on a car forum....

The 2 most common are the 26" 1894 centennial edition rifles from Winchester. They weigh a ton, I think they ALL shoot (haven't seen one that didn't) and they hold like a rock. That heavy rifle takes a lot of the snap out of a 30-30 round. The other being the 24" Marlin XLR type, the older ones (don't know the designation) are blued, the newer XLR are stainles. They are much lighter but shoot well. There are some of the 24" Marlin octagon barrel 336 CB but they are hens teeth to find and pricey when you do.

Now to be fair... I started with a 20" 336 carbine and shot it well and have seen others do the same. The only real problem with them is light so using full power loads they tend to beat you up and you loose a few inches in sight radius... the up side is they are dirt cheap and again, never seen one that wouldn't shoot.

I don't think you can shoot out a 30-30 and anyone that shoots a few CLA matches a year or more shoots more then anyone else probably in the country with a 30-30. Most get a few rounds down them a year.

This is all IMHO and YMMV... =))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I forgot to say....

Assuming the Henry is built like my wifes 357 allweather with the 20" barrel and you like it. Go for it. I was surprised how easy it was to get a REALLY GOOD TRIGGER out of it (take a bit of work, it's like a revolver trigger) but it's a shooter.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

The center fire Henry Brass receiver, Octagon barrel rifles are heavy rifles. Much Heavier than a Marlin 26 inch octagon rifle.
They are also only twenty inches. The sight radius does make adifference.

I feel the difference between forty shots with my Henry BBB 357 and forty shots from my Zane Grey 30-30.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

Shootmore, they seem like nice-handling rifles. Can you mount the rear sight you want ?

Edit: saw a couple Henry 30-30s yesterday and both were drilled and tapped for a scope mount on the top of the receiver. Looked to be similar or the same as a Marlin 336 hole pattern.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

The Winchester Commemorative is a hard one to beat. They shoot really well and hold real nice. The 26” barrel makes for a nice sight radius.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

And you can still find NIB ones for less than $700.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 am And you can still find NIB ones for less than $700.
There are steals out there to be had. I paid less than $600 shipped for my NIB Canadian. I've noticed those are usually the lowest price commemorative models.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

found a Win 94 -26" Octagon barrel beauty . Due in Friday. Hope its a shooter.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

DooDaddy. I've noticed that too. The Canadians always sell for about $600 while the exact same commemorative with Buffalo Bill or some other name sells for $850?!?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:42 pm DooDaddy. I've noticed that too. The Canadians always sell for about $600 while the exact same commemorative with Buffalo Bill or some other name sells for $850?!?
I figure it's related to what my dad said when I suggested he buy one. "I aint shooting something with a maple leaf on the side" or at least to the effect of that. Oh well lol
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

To me, the leaves on the receivers of the Canadian centennial models look more like sweetgum than maple. Either way, mine shoots straight and the misses are my fault.