Spirit level front sights for lever actions

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Spirit level front sights for lever actions

Post by Another Dang 9 »

My method to get my sights set is to use a tripod with a small sand bag to rest the forearm on. Its as close to your natural standing as your going to get.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

DJA wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:32 pm
SqHunter wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 pm zeros for my new 3030 were greatly different between sighting in and the match.
Were you sighting in offhand or off the bench with a rest? The recoil is different, and that will effect POI. To get at least close with bench rest sighters, I use a technique shared by Mr. Steiger: put the rest right up under the action, not under the fore end. That did work better for me.
I try to do that as well as use my hand between the rest and the forearm, but it did not cure the problem with this particular rifle. I think it also has something to do with head position and view through the sights, a more upright posture at the bench seems to give more reliable zeros. The problem is not all rests or benches allow for it.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Rex, the best advice I can give you is ditch the bench altogether. It's best used as a place to put your ammo and a cold drink on a hot day. The less you rely on it the better. I always ask folks who shoot only off a bench what do you do when your 1/2 mile in the woods. Do you strap it to your back? Its a crutch you don't need. Especially in this game.
When I said use a tripod I mean one tall enough to use while you are standing. Wally World sells them for $20 in the camera dept. I place the gun on the stand where my left hand would normally go so it has the exact same pressure on it as if I was holding it. Hope this helps.
Also your targets went out today. Remember to trace them onto a piece of plywood or something similar before you shoot them full of holes! Jig saw it out and you have your template. Craft store has rolls of black paper that are easy to cut out with a razor knife. Remember to put something under it when you cut it out. Your wife will kill you if you cut up her kitchen floor!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:40 pm Rex, the best advice I can give you is ditch the bench altogether. It's best used as a place to put your ammo and a cold drink on a hot day. The less you rely on it the better. I always ask folks who shoot only off a bench what do you do when your 1/2 mile in the woods. Do you strap it to your back? Its a crutch you don't need. Especially in this game.
When I said use a tripod I mean one tall enough to use while you are standing. Wally World sells them for $20 in the camera dept. I place the gun on the stand where my left hand would normally go so it has the exact same pressure on it as if I was holding it. Hope this helps.
Also your targets went out today. Remember to trace them onto a piece of plywood or something similar before you shoot them full of holes! Jig saw it out and you have your template. Craft store has rolls of black paper that are easy to cut out with a razor knife. Remember to put something under it when you cut it out. Your wife will kill you if you cut up her kitchen floor!
Thank you. And thanks for the idea of the tripod. I have thought of using one of those chair pods, a camera tripod might be even better.