.22LR Standard or Highspeed?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Re: .22LR Standard or Highspeed?

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

There was a pig rail that leaned forward at one club for small bore lever action. Dinging or turning these pigs was fairly common even with high velocity ammunition. I bought a few boxes of this 60gr 22lr ammo. The accuracy at 50 meters wasn't great, but it was good enough to be useful. The pigs that were being "dung" with all other ammo ALL fell over with authority using the Aguila SSS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 pm There was a pig rail that leaned forward at one club for small bore lever action. Dinging or turning these pigs was fairly common even with high velocity ammunition. I bought a few boxes of this 60gr 22lr ammo. The accuracy at 50 meters wasn't great, but it was good enough to be useful. The pigs that were being "dung" with all other ammo ALL fell over with authority using the Aguila SSS.
Is the C.O.L. the same as a 40 gn .22 LR?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Sporty wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:04 pm
DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 pm There was a pig rail that leaned forward at one club for small bore lever action. Dinging or turning these pigs was fairly common even with high velocity ammunition. I bought a few boxes of this 60gr 22lr ammo. The accuracy at 50 meters wasn't great, but it was good enough to be useful. The pigs that were being "dung" with all other ammo ALL fell over with authority using the Aguila SSS.
Is the C.O.L. the same as a 40 gn .22 LR?
Yes they are 22LR length. They are for much faster twist AR conversions.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

To confirm, yes they are a standard overall length 22lr. They feed and function without a hitch in my 9422.
As far as a special rate of twist needed. Yes .....and no. They are a loooong bullet . A fast rate of twist is most likely needed to stabilize that boolit for decent accuracy . Especially at longer ranges. However like any ammunition, factory or reload you don't know until you try.
I tried it in my Winchester 9422 Legacy. I don't exactly remember the group size. But I do remember 100 meters was a no go. At 50 meters in my rifle it groups at around two inches. That is not great, but if I hold center it is good for pigs.
I brought this up as I believe it shows that bullet mass can be more important than velocity. As a side note, I don't care if that little sixty grain brick hits the pig sideways. Watching that pig flop over is very, very satisfying.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Not saying they may or may not work in your rifle, just saying they are specifically made for 22LR AR upper conversions using the 1/7-1/9 twist AR barrels...

60gr should help knocking down PC pigs... it's overkill for SB pigs though.... again, I know some ranges can't afford 2 sets of animals and usually shoot PC pigs which creates it's own set of problems... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

It has been a while since I purchased it, but there is, or was, a manufacturer that made a special twist 10/22 barrel specifically for use with this ammo. It has an 11.25" twist. The main purpose of the barrel, per the maker, was to enable safe use of the 60 grain while using a suppressor. It does improve long range accuracy significantly.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

GTS wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:32 am It has been a while since I purchased it, but there is, or was, a manufacturer that made a special twist 10/22 barrel specifically for use with this ammo. It has an 11.25" twist. The main purpose of the barrel, per the maker, was to enable safe use of the 60 grain while using a suppressor. It does improve long range accuracy significantly.
I think it was Green Mountain if I recall correctly.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

No, not Green Mountain. I found an old link to a Capitalist Arms, LLC, doesn't work now, but I think they were the maker. I do recall that they were in either New Mexico or Arizona. I believe that they moved to Colorado, but I am not sure.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Lapua use to make a 45gr. standard velocity .22RF round. I used them for a long time on PC rams. Haven't seen them for a very long time but I do still have a few boxes left. Came in a brown box.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

I was able to find an email about the barrel I ordered. It was Capitalist Arms, LLC

About The Optimal Twist SSS™ 10/22 Barrel

Rate of Twist: 1:11¼"
Length: 16 ¾"
Profile: Untapered Bull barrels, 0.920" nominal
Material: Stainless Steel
Chamber: Bentz semi-auto Match chamber
Drop in for Ruger 10/22 and 77/22, MOA, and other 10/22 copies
Optional: ½-28 TPI muzzle threads
Note: In order to obtain optimal accuracy results, current manufacture SSS ammunition is required.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

https://www.eabco.net/Green-Mountain-90 ... 13706.html

Green Mountain had one too. Never knew someone else did as well.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

It would be interesting to test them side by side. The info from my barrel's maker said they experimented with several twist rates and found the 11.25" to be the "perfect" twist for the 60 gr Aguila. I think their main concern was a twist that would stabilize the 60 gr bullet enough to insure there would not be any baffle strikes when using a suppressor.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Had to do some digging but I found a box of the Lapua .22 ammo. It was 48gr not 45gr. The two lower rounds are 40gr. Center-X for reference.
They would ring a PC ram now and again but they were super accurate in every gun I shot them through. Last time I saw them for sale was 2005 or so. I finally got my Marlin .357 sorted out and never used my SB lever rifle for PC targets again.
I've also used the CCI Gold Dot Velocitors. They list them as the fastest .22 RF ammo on the market. But they will still ring a PC ram.
0627192356.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I have a few boxes of recent (Graf's) Cascade .22lr ammo that has subsonic 50 gr bullets. It really clobbers my gongs but most of our rifles won't stabilize the bullet. I have a 10/22 with a regular Green mountain barrel that shoots it half decent to 75m. Fun for practice.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

snaketail2 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 pm Some clubs don't allow supresssors. check your local clubs first.
Why is that? What could possibly bad about them at well below 1000 fps?