Reloading rifle cartridge on a progressive loader?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Reloading rifle cartridge on a progressive loader?

Post by Merlin »

I have a Dillon 550b and am considering trying out loading for my 38-55 on the dillon. Has anyone tried loading a straight wall cartridge like the 38-55 on a progressive?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Reloading rifle cartridge on a progressive loader?

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Merlin, I load for my 45-70 on a 550C. I don't prime on the Dillon as I can't get a good feel for the primer seat, but I set up the sizer--sans decapper on one, the powder station on 2, a seater on 3 and a crimper on 4. Works fine for sure---the only complaint I have is the height clearance is a bit tight. Not sure it's the same as what you are asking, but also load 30-30, 8.15x46r, and all my pistol cartridges like 45 Colt, 357, 32-20....on the Dillon.
It takes a while to set any cartridge up, but I just leave the dies in the tool head once I have them set.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Yes Sir. Thanks. If you can do a 45-7- I should have no problem. Not going to worry about the primer seating as I have pretty well developed a feel over the years.... Actually one of THE main reasons I want to load on the Dillon is to where I don't have to hand seat the primers. My hands just aren't up to the effort of large primers in Starline brass.... :wink: I will probably just set up a toolhead complete for the single caliber. Sure a lot easier.

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
wdr2
Unclassified Poster

Post by wdr2 »

I use a Dillon 550 to load for my Marlin CB 38-55 with two tool heads setup this way:

Tool Head 1) size, prime, and expand with a custom expander
charge with powder off the Dillon
Tool Head 2) seat using a Redding Comp seater then crimp in a separate crimp die

I find the Dillon expanders are often too small for my cast bullets so I don’t use them with the 38-55 or 44Mag. For example, my Dillon 38-55 expander is 0.373in and I use 0.380in diameter rather soft cast bullets in the 38-55. My custom expander is 0.378in.

After I saw a Smith & Wesson 357 blow up due to a double charge, I started looking into every case to verify powder level when using the 550. I use this:

https://inlinefabrication.com/collectio ... dillon-550

However, with the 38-55 case I can’t see the powder when loading with 10gr of Universal or Unique so I use my Harrell powder measure off the Dillon. Yes these are extra steps but still way faster than a single stage press. One can do this with one tool head but I find the process rather awkward. Loading 200 38-55’s takes about an hour.

Bill
Idaho
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Wdr2 - thanks. Great info. Going to set up and try to load a few this week with a goal of doing it with a single head. I will be open to change if it does not go well though. My (JES Rebore) bore sizes out at .376 so I am hopeful that I can load without crinkling the brass....

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Merlin, I believe what Wdr2 mentioned is the crux of loading on one tool head----and that's the diameter of the Dillon powder funnel. I like to seat and crimp on separate stages and that's only possible with four stages if you get a powder funnel diameter that you can live with for the bullet diameter you are using. If you seat and crimp in one stage, you can use the expander that suits your need on station three. There are lots of combinations that might work, but it would be nice if Dillon made custom diameter powder funnels---maybe they do, I don't know, as I've just got along with what I have.
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

not a a straight wall cartridge, but I am reloading .308 Win on a 550B

after all the prep work, I use 1 head for loading:
  1. prime, and bell case mouth using NOE expander in Lee Universal Expander Die
  2. load powder using a Dillon Powder Die and a kitchen funnel; powder is dispensed using RCBS ChargeMaster into a pan
  3. seat bullet
  4. lightly crimp bullet
I wish Dillon made "powder through" funnels for rifle cartridges that also bell the case mouth

g'luck!