Reloading 357/38 SPL.... WTH?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Reloading 357/38 SPL.... WTH?

Post by cedestech »

New rifle, trying different bullets/loads out.

This is a first to me... 24" barrel, jacket ONLY was stuck about 2/3rd the way down the barrel.... lead core kept going.... I have loaded thousands of this particular bullet...

38 special, 3.5 gr Bullseye, 158gr jacketed soft point flat nose.

Anyone?

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Reloading 357/38 SPL.... WTH?

Post by atomicbrh »

I would touch base with this guy on gun broker. He is looking for answers and you may have found his answer.
http://steelchickens.com/forums/viewtop ... =7&t=13555
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Load multiple calibers for multiple years and have never even heard of this... just wondering if it's a harbinger or a one off....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I’ve never heard of such. My big question is, O. K. What was it that tipped you off that there was a problem and to not chamber another round. Was it a different sound or what? Inquiring minds want to know.
Just like I’d really like to know what caused that 45/70 to disintegrate.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

The report was different. Muffled. You know how much I shoot. Something doesn't sound right... I stop and find out why.... ;)
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I had that happen with a 30-30 and half jacket bullets. I guess that it was like sticking a lead bullet in the barrel with a light charge, but the lead core was able to separate from the jacket and roll out the barrel.

I upped my charges and never had it happen again. I had two different loads I used to shoot indoors----gallery loads, one was with Unique and the other with Bullseye---but I don't remember what load it was.

Mine barely made enough noise to be heard over the hearing protection and fans, but there was quite a bit of powder smoke that came out of the chamber---that is what clued me in to checking he barrel.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Speer reloading manuals warn of reduced charges (below minimum listed) causing jacket - core separation in the barrel with certain (semi-jacket or straight jacket) bullets.
I am out of state at a three day regional match so I can't look at the specifics.
I believe Speer manual #12 and #13 list this problem in.......38 special and/or 357 Magnum.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm Speer reloading manuals warn of reduced charges (below minimum listed) causing jacket - core separation in the barrel with certain (semi-jacket or straight jacket) bullets.
I am out of state at a three day regional match so I can't look at the specifics.
I believe Speer manual #12 and #13 list this problem in.......38 special and/or 357 Magnum.
Yep. That seems to be the conciseness. I'd never seen it but apparently it's a thing.... LOL.

:)
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

I had a friend who had the same experience repeatedly from a new Henry 357. Slugged the bore and found it .355. Worked fine with 9mm slugs but peeled the jacket of 357.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

Most people would say that mild load is in cast bullet territory BUT, for what it's worth there is a 158 jacketed bullet .38 special load in my Nosler manual that starts at 3.1 gr Bullseye. Obviously you have used your load a long time but I guess each gun is a new book, especially at the low and high ends of the velocity range.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I got four squibs with factory .38 Specials when fired in my .357 Magnum lever action. No separation though. In addition to the squibs and the increased leade (freebore) I'll only shoot .357 Magnums from now on. I have hundreds of 5.0 grains of Titegroup in .357 Magnum cases with Hornady 158 grain XTP that are performing flawlessly at subsonic. The starting load is 5.4 grains.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC