Henry accuracy

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Henry accuracy

Post by PAndy »

There seem to be quite a few Henry rifles in the game now. Does anyone have experience to share regarding accuracy of the octagon barrel pistol cartridge guns ?

The Henrys are not exactly cheap, but they are available. There are still 20" Marlin cowboys available also.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Henry accuracy

Post by Ojaileveraction »

Worked well for me. it Hit everything it was pointed at when I pulled the trigger.
More accurate than me.
They are heavy.
The octagon barrel is not a Tapered Barrel like the Marlin Cowboy. . It is more like a Bull Barrel.
Tim
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

In an odd coincidence, after posting this question here I ran across a good deal on a used Henry .357. So comparing it to my 1894 CL will be the fall shooting project.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Never seen a used one in the wild.
Tim
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

So far, I like the rifle's weight and balance. Accuracy seems to be pretty good, at least with jacketed bullets so far. My problem has been uniform velocity. When I load five in the magazine, I routinely get a slow first shot ( -100 to -200 fps) across my chronograph and a flyer. Powder position somehow. Of course I have messed with powders, tipping muzzle up and down, sliding rounds slower down the magazine tube, etc. Currently using 6 gr of titegroup or 6.5 gr of n340. The issue seems less severe when shooting offhand. I can probably fix it by shooting a case full of imr4227, but I'd rather not go that route. Input from Henry shooters would be welcome by pm or whatever.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

For what it's worth, the Henry Originals are way too expensive for me. if Henry had a Big Boy 24" PC rifle I would have purchased it instead of a Winchester. I prefer a 31" sight radius.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

I never got consistent shots using pistol powders. Always that wild flyer
Wanting a sub-sonic load I ended up using Hornady's lowest charge of 2400 to get a consistent load using Barry's 158 plated.

I'm developing 25-20 loads right now for my 1894CL.
Tim
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

I had a "Remington" Marlin 1894 in 357 and the 2 loads I used were Trailboss with a 125gr JFP Roze Bullet. I do not remember the charge. That load out of my Marlin would shoot 5 shots, all touching, at pigs, but really fall apart by the time it got to the turkeys.
However in my Henry, I could not get the same results with the Trailboss with 125 gr Bullets. But 4.2 gr of Trailboss does shoot 1.25" groups at the pigs with a 158 cast SWC bullet. I do not know the velocity.
One thing to be very careful about with Trailboss is if you start too light, you will stick a bullet in the barrel.
My loads for my Henry are now, C&P, 7.0 gr of Wnchester Auto Comp with a 140 Hornady HP XTP at 1400 FPS
T&R load is 7.1 gr Titegroup with a 125 Hornady JFP at 1512 FPS. I won't shoot this load at C&P because the velocity is up there a bit and I don't want to damage the pigs. I don't use the 140 load for T&R because I'm trying to limit elevation changes. however, the 140 gr load will shoot 1" at 100 M.
Scoped, off the bench.
To find loads for Trailboss in lever guns, you might wanna check out some of the Cowboy shooting forums.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I switched to cast bullets. 140 grain coated Missouri flat points and shooters world ultimate pistol powder has been most accurate with minimal flyers. 1250 fps. Seems an unlikely powder for cast bullets, but it works in this situation. It shoots reliably 2 MOA and sometimes better.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

I have a Henry .22WMR. Good accuracy. Took 3rd place, AA, in nationals 2019. The gun shoots better than I do with factory ammo. Ill take it out this weekend and check it for 100 yard and 50 yard groups.