Help for new shooter to lever

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Blairsville
B Poster
B Poster

Help for new shooter to lever

Post by Blairsville »

So im a newer silhoutte shooter in canada right now i shoot smallbore and high power. Im Really enjoying starting a collection of rifles and since i think I already have what i need for hunting. 12 gauge 20 gauge 22lr and 308 bolt. I though why not get the guns together what I need to shoot other classes of silhoutte as I've always wanted a reason to go to the PE'll shoot in washington state as i live in victoria BC.

I picked up a 1955 Marlin 39a at my local shop in not bad shape for 450$ which I was very happy with since in canada the 39A seem to all warrant a price tag of 900$ and above. Im currently Having a couple issues with it I think but ive never had one to compare it to. The ejector comes out but only if i really through it the little arm that ejects it wobbles back and forth is that normal.
The second thing is I bought a lyman front 17a sight used and it has the ability to slide back and forth by hand The guy who sold it to me said you can peen down the edges or use a punch in the holder to create a divot. Wondering if that is normal since the stock site is tight. Or if i should just buy a new one since its only about 60$.

Second question I have read about 9 pages of comments and I would just love a short list of guns for high power lever So I don't buy the wrong one.
I have seen some people talking about the marlin 336xlr not to excited about it
can someone give me a list of 30-30 lever with pistol style grip that would be good for silhoutte and have parts and sights available as in canada that stuff is a little more scarce.

thanks so much for your time.
Blair
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Help for new shooter to lever

Post by CamP »

Sounds like you may have a broken ejector spring. If so, that's an easy/cheap fix. There are probably some YouTube videos that will help.

Peening the sight will probably work. I'd leave the ramp alone. Every new 17A sight I've installed was oversized and needed to be filed down to get the interference fit just right. If you dont have the correct files, then it's a gunsmith job.

For a 30-30 with a pistol grip, you may want to look for a Teddy Roosevelt commemorative Winchester 94 with a 26" octagon barrel. A lot of them were made so prices are reasonable. I've been told that all the post '64 26" octagon barrel guns shoot well. I know my 26" Classic shoots consistent sub 2" groups even with iron sights.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Rather than peening, a thin strip of aluminum from a beer or soda can put underneath the site while mounting it will fix it permanently in place without bending any barrel metal. Yes I know about aluminum and steel. It works.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

Don't do any peening or filing on the rifle only on the sight.
The shim suggested is sure and easy.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Sounds like a broken ejector spring on the 39A. Simple fix. On your front sight i would just buy a new one and file and make it fit. They are only about $40 USD and that way you know you will have no issues.

For a 30-30 all the Winchester Commemoratives shoot very well. There is a few different models with the pistol grip you are looking for.
Teddy Rosevelt
Lone Star are 2 that i know of and have seen in action.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Grace tools makes an excellent screwdriver kit specifically for the 39A. It has 3 straight ground screwdrivers that fit perfectly and will prevent buggered up screws.

Money well spent.