Henry Rifles, 24" 357....

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Henry Rifles, 24" 357....

Post by cedestech »

I would be first in line to buy one, even if they used the 20" mag tube (like they do with their 24" small bore rifle).

Obviously side gate loading would be great but the 24" barrel is really what I'd love and would buy one in a heart beat. (Teresa shoots Henrys in all 3 guns).

I messaged them on their FB page and received this response.

"Hi Emmett, thanks very much for the suggestion. If you haven't already done so, please drop a note in our new suggestion box here: https://www.henryusa.com/henry-firearm-suggestion-box/
This is how we're keeping track of all the product suggestions we get. The more requests we get for a specific product, the more likely it is to become a reality!"

I know they made the 24" small bore rifle because enough people asked and the 327 (though I haven't actually seen anyone shooting them)...

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-firearm-suggestion-box/
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Henry Rifles, 24" 357....

Post by Doodaddy »

I called them when I spent some time with my Henry 24" 22lr specifically asking for 357 and 30-30 versions. I'd sell my Rossi and Winchester and shoot Henry across all three classes if they did that.

Suggestions sent in!
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
IHMSA53393
B Poster
B Poster

Post by IHMSA53393 »

Why a 357 magnum?

I've been posting a suggestion on Henry's website monthly for over a year. 357 Maximum, 24" octagon barrel, side loading gate. Don't care if blue or stainless.

Brass is no longer a problem. Starline has it.

Think of it, one rifle for PC and LR.

I'd be the first at their factory door if they offered this rifle.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

My same suggestions were posted to their "suggestion box" a year ago for a .357 Magnum & .30-30. Hunters want the shorter barrels and Henry caters to hunters.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

We have a 24" Henry 22 and it's a great shooter. I'd buy a 24" Henry 357. Especially if it had a pistol grip.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

https://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_big-bo ... -case.html

My wife has a "steel big boy" 20" round barrel "all weather"(hard chrome plated with a matte finish) in 357.

It shoots nice, with a little work it has easily the best trigger out of all of our lever guns (we have a herd, or glaring, or murder... what ever you call a bunch of lever guns...).

I have handled the case colored octagon barrel. Mechanically the same, cosmetically different and a little heavier.

With a 24" barrel I could definitely live with it. The weight and balance would be fine. My wifes shoots sub 3MOA with iron sights at 100. Plenty good enough for PC. Probably shoots more like +/- 2MOA if I was to put glass on it.

The top half of the action resembles a 336 with the bottom part resembling a revolver trigger. It is well built and the fit and finish is nice at the price point.

If they put a gate on it.... hubba hubba... :-B
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

CamP wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am We have a 24" Henry 22 and it's a great shooter. I'd buy a 24" Henry 357. Especially if it had a pistol grip.
Go to the link in the first post and fill it out. As far as production goes I would hope it wouldn't be too hard for them to do everything the same but add 4" to the length of the barrel. I know gate loading may be asking for too much....
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I'm throwing a wrench into this convo by saying a .38 special chamber would be better than a .357 mag. or .357 max. We all(.357 mag reloaders) try like hell to work up a light load to .38 special velocity. Why not make one chambered in it?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:04 pm I'm throwing a wrench into this convo by saying a .38 special chamber would be better than a .357 mag. or .357 max. We all(.357 mag reloaders) try like hell to work up a light load to .38 special velocity. Why not make one chambered in it?
Uberti 1866 comes chambered in 38special....
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Emmett I like the Uberti's but don't see a lot of them on the line. I'm guessing they have heavy triggers?!?
NRA Endowment Member
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:36 am Emmett I like the Uberti's but don't see a lot of them on the line. I'm guessing they have heavy triggers?!?
I think my dad's Uberti 357 trigger from the factory was around a 7.5lb break feeling like dragging over gravel road. They can be nice if you put the time in though.

They're pretty enough to almost not care though!
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The trigger seems to be the one thing I've heard people complain about the most. Same for the Browning 52s.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:55 pm The trigger seems to be the one thing I've heard people complain about the most. Same for the Browning 52s.
It has 2 or 3 safeties built into it and it's a 3 piece affair. Very little metal work is involved and no hammer spring work needed. There is a intermediate piece you need to get the spring pressure right on to get the weight down. A gunsmith should be able to get a safe sub-2# trigger out of it fairly easy.

Stock... yeah, leaves a bit to be desired...
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

My regular gunsmith here in the NE retired and I wouldn't trust anyone up here to do a competent trigger job on lever rifles these days without knowing they've done many before. Its all ARs and shotguns around here. Hell I can do those myself.
NRA Endowment Member