Leather Vest

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Leather Vest

Post by psteiger »

firewizard40 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:37 pm Uncle Pat if you are bold enough to wear it I will fight for to make it legal.
Maybe in Blue to match the corn chips, but it needs to have pockets..... =)) .
I think John Wayne wore one in Ranch River....I need to go look.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I'm not a vest wearer but I would wear one for the CLA animals as I shoot a crescent butt stock 30-30.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

dustinflint wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:00 pm
44 mag wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:53 am It was tabled but since there is no definitive rule in the book that says they are not allowed then they will be allowed.
I disagree that there is no definitive rule in the rule book that disallows leather vests in Lever action:

The general rule in all silhouette is Rule 3.12 which says no shooting vests that add stability: "Shooting coats, unnecessarily heavy clothing, or anything on the person that would provide artificial support such as clothing having excess padding or stiffening material or which restricts or supports the body in the shooting position may not be worn."

Rule 3.12(a) then creates an EXCEPTION: "Sleeveless leather, vinyl, heavy fabric or multiple layered vests that may be considered or construed to be unnecessarily heavy or to provide artificial support are permitted if they can be closed over a gauge made from 4 inch thin wall PVC pipe..."

The rule specific to lever gun clothing (Rule 3.1.3(e)) disallows heavy shooting vests and does not provide an exception: "Clothing that adds stability to the shooting position is not allowed."

So we have a general rule (Rule 3.12) with an exception then a more specific rule for Lever action (Rule 3.1.3(e)) with no exception. The specific rule limits the general rule and makes heavy vests illegal for Lever Action .

Rule 3.12 also directs all clothing questions to the jury, "Any dispute regarding clothing will be submitted to the Jury for decision." So if you wear a heavy vest at a Lever action match, the jury should be called and it should disallow the vest because the rules specifically (maybe not CLEARLY, but specifically) disallow clothing that adds stability for Lever Action and the rules do not provided the exception for leather vests that is provided to the general rule.

The 4-inch pipe rule is part of the exception that is overruled by the clothing rule specific to Lever Action.

Dustin
Whether you agree with the rules or not, if one textually considers all that is written one can make the conclusion that clothing that provides support is not allowed with any silhouette rifle.

Rule 3.1.3(e) disallows supportive clothing and then Rule 3.12 defines clothing.

When clothing is construed to provide support then 3.12(a) kicks in.

Rule 3.12(a) Sleeveless leather, vinyl, heavy fabric or multiple layered vests that
may be considered or construed to be unnecessarily heavy or to
provide artificial support are permitted if they can be closed over a
gauge made from 4 inch thin wall PVC pipe, not less than 30 inches
in length, passed through the entire length of the vest, and opened or
vented from the bottom edge to a point two inches above the crest of
the hipbone.

Therefore, Rule 3.12(a) stipulates that any support from clothing is removed if the gauge is applied thus giving approval to the clothing mentioned in 3.1.3(e).
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

LEVER GUN HERE I COME:
E12F1841-4591-4092-B195-E670BD2376BE.jpeg
Al Foust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

...passed through the entire length of the vest not the width. :))
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

If I suck in my gut I can probably get a 6" pipe through.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Al
You neglected to list the air temp. humidity and wind speed when you conducted your test. Sorry big fail. :-j
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Heck.... let's avoid any possible controversy, and all shoot naked!
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

I still have a leather vest I used to wear in the 1960's. But the crushed velvet bell bottom pants and paisley shirt are long gone..... =))
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore