Favorite 32-20 Load and 25-20 too!

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Favorite 32-20 Load and 25-20 too!

Post by frankmako »

marlin made a 1894cb in 38 sp only. got a friend that has one. nice rifle.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Another Dang 9, I’ve wanted one in 38spl too.
You are right about powder to case volume.
I’ve even messed with 38 long colt cases. Problem with the shorter case is the same reason that 22lr, 22mag, 32 H&R are all tube load/feed. The length of the cartridge is just too short to make it from the loading gate to in deep enough into the magazine tube. You would have to redesign the receiver to work properly.

I’ll send pictures in my next separate post on 200 grain 357 mag loads.
Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Favorite 32-20 Load

Post by Sporty »

Ojaileveraction wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm
dwostler wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:57 am
For Rifle Caliber (Long Range) I'm selling my 30-30 and using a 357 mag subsonic with a 200gr. 35 Rem round nose jacketed.
No problems with knocking rams over, kind of like what the 38-55 people use.

Thanks for asking, Dennis
Are you using 38sp cases?
I have a word of caution with firing .38 Special in a rifle chambered for .357 Magnum. It has been written that a carbon ring buildup in the chamber will be problematic if you want to shoot .357 Magnums latter on. If the rifle can be in battery with the .357 Magnum cartridge then the empty case may get stuck in there if the carbon ring hasn't been cleaned out. Revolvers chambered for both have the same issue. Fortunately, it's a lot easier, but not easy, to clean out a carbon ring from a pistol cylinder than it is with a rifle's chamber. I don't know how many .38 Special rounds it takes for the problem to occur but I believe it will.
Last edited by Sporty on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thanks Charlie, yes that is a concern.

I use 357 mag brass for my load, if you use 38spl you have to keep it clean, or always shoot 38spl forever.

I think if it is just a ram load, you might get away with 30 rounds of 357 and 10 rounds of 38spl for a little while, kind of self cleaning.

I currently just use 357 mag brass, I might change in the future to making it a forever 38spl rifle.

You will see what I’m talking about in my Heavy bullet 357mag post.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

lijeboy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 am Dennis,

Glenn and I have had two 25-20s and we now have four 32-20s. The best powder we have found, with a scope mounted on each gun for load development, is IMR4198. The load data in Lyman's 49th Edition loading manual as most accurate is the one we use in our 32-20s, pushing a 100 gr. XTP bullet at about 1100 fps. Our 25-20s like the bullets being pushed fast.
Not to hijack the thread, but what sort of rifles are they? I am interested in a smaller pistol caliber rifle, but there are not a lot of options. Did you restore an antique or are you using the CL Marlins? Do they shoot well?
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

A local pawn shop that I frequent has a very nice 38 sp only cowboy for sale. Email me for details at hattrix@cox.net.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

IS there any advantage to having a .38 Special only over a .357?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Merlin, the biggest advantage is with the powder to case ratio with low velocity loads. The whole problem of power position is gone. I've even found them to shoot better than .357s loaded to the same velocity even with the extra bullet jump to the lands. The powder ring isn't as big of an issue as cleaning most lever guns with the bolt removed can be done easily. A chamber brush makes quick work of it. If you don't have a flexable cleaning rod buy one and you dont even have to remove the bolt. So shooting .357 mags doesn't become a huge issue. If you shoot a Garand or M1A it's a must have tool.
0127201019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Merlin, like Another Dang 9 mentioned, it is only important when you are developing subsonic loads.

You have a reduced chance of a double charge, making your day very interesting.

Reasons for subsonic have been previously mentioned, but as an example, my 200 grain heavy long range 357 mag load. I use it instead of my 30-30 now, it has 1/3 the recoil and 1/8 the muzzle blast. Drawback... Rainbow trajectory... a whole lot of turns on the Redfield sight for me.

For light bullet loads, you don't want a lot of empty space in the case for fear of erratic powder ignition.

Another Dang 9, I use a "Bore Snake" which I carry in my range bag. Works very well with a little Hoppies No. 9

Dennis
The Bug Father
6mmintl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 6mmintl »

I load 125 grain berrys plated lead truncated SKS bullet over 7.5 grains A2400 in my 32-20.

Very accurate
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dennis I like the bore snake too but as a quick range cleaner. They've proven very useful. I store mine in an old plastic food container that doesn't react to solvent. (Philly cream cheese) For a good cleaning I always go full brush/patch/brush/ patch/ patch/ patch/ patch....patch...patch...route. I use the synthetic brushes so I don't worry about tearing up the bores on my guns. The brass/bronze brushes leave residue and I'm never sure if its copper or the brush making the solvent blue. Not an issue with the synthetic. I've tried a few brands but find the iosso brand to be the best.

I've tried 2400 in my 32-20 with poor powder burn issues. Had full curnuls of hard powder the full bore length. Tried 4227 and a whole bunch of others with mixed results. Again Unique came to the rescue.
NRA Endowment Member
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I think the 'standard load' for 32-20 in this game is 4.5 gr of unique and a 115 cast bullet. It never worked for me, but as you can see, people shoot well with all manner of loads. I have shot low velocity with slow powder, and faster speed with faster powder, and don't seem to have learned much. I shot my best scores with 12 grains of 4198. I ignored the unburned kernels (and the flyers when I tried to shoot groups over sandbags). Try a few things and see what the gun likes...the accurate load will probably work.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

SqHunter wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:01 pm
lijeboy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 am Dennis,

Glenn and I have had two 25-20s and we now have four 32-20s. The best powder we have found, with a scope mounted on each gun for load development, is IMR4198. The load data in Lyman's 49th Edition loading manual as most accurate is the one we use in our 32-20s, pushing a 100 gr. XTP bullet at about 1100 fps. Our 25-20s like the bullets being pushed fast.
Not to hijack the thread, but what sort of rifles are they? I am interested in a smaller pistol caliber rifle, but there are not a lot of options. Did you restore an antique or are you using the CL Marlins? Do they shoot well?
They are all Marlins and all shoot well.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

IMR 4198 may be the only powder I haven't tried in my 32-20. Load bench here I come again....
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

PAndy. Thanks for the info.
NRA Endowment Member