1892 Winchester / Miroku .357 Mag broken firing pins

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TeveArco
Unclassified Poster

1892 Winchester / Miroku .357 Mag broken firing pins

Post by TeveArco »

I shoot my 1892 Winchester / Miroku 357 Magnum is PC and CLA. I have been breaking the factory firing pins.
For CLA Rams I have been using a 180gr Hornaday XTP Jacketed / 14.0gr Lil Gun Gun Powder / Federal Small
Magnum Pistol Primers. I called Hodgdon and they said that Lil Gun will not over pressurize even with a full
volume of powder at 15.0gr. The firing pin for this Miroku rifle seems a little under designed. Any thoughts or
recommendation of a Gunsmith who had dealt with this issue?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 1892 Winchester / Miroku .357 Mag broken firing pins

Post by Merlin »

I would call the factory service center and discuss it with them..... Who knows they might actually be helpful...?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
TeveArco
Unclassified Poster

Post by TeveArco »

I shooting about 90-100 round per event, I hoping to see if any other members who are using the
.357 Winchester / Miroku were having any issues with the firing pin breakage. If I am one of a
rare few, I would think this would be a Breech Bolt issue and I would replace it and hopefully
be among the many who are having no issues!
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I know the Miruko uses a different set up then a true 92... I'd check with Winchester. If it were a standard set up like a 92 or 94 I'd question the bolt. You don't do alot of dry firing do you? Where is the pin breaking?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TeveArco
Unclassified Poster

Post by TeveArco »

On the first firing pin I did practice with a snap cap, I follow your thought, the second firing pin
I did not do any dry firing into a snap cap. The firing pin broke clean at the radius. My thoughts
now is, it may be an alignment issue with the Breech Bolt and the Firing Pin. This may change
if others who shoot a 1892 Miroku has a similar issue. The Winchester early 1892 firing pin is
completely different and has a short firing pin stem. To the best of my knowledge, Winchester
did not make an early 1892 357 Magnum.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

A picture of the broken pins would help but it does sound like miss alignment. I have a 66 like that and have turned the body of the pin down a few thousands so there is no binding.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Is this what your pin looks like? If so then yes, if it's breaking at the radius to the pin body there is a misalignment. Call Winchester, they may make it right. If not I would either buy a new bolt, enlarge the pin hole or pay a gunsmith to drill it out and bush it.... but the bolt is probably cheaper.
TeveArco
Unclassified Poster

Post by TeveArco »

I have been told that the Breech Bolt port for the firing pin for the 1892 Winchester / Miroku is the same as
early 1892 Winchester 32-20 at .3190"-.320". Can anyone verify this ? Meanwhile I ordered a new Breech Bolt
and Firing pin from Winchester and will also check the head spacing.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I like to dry fire whenever possible with all my lever action rifles but since I broke the firing pin tip of my Winchester 94 commemorative while dry firing with an empty chamber, now I do not dry fire with that rifle unless I have a case with a fired primer in the chamber.

I do not have snap caps and only dry fire during competition, some times before I start shooting and at the end if I have time left over.

I saw more than a few shooters at the last AZ lever action state match dry firing between their relays but I did not pay attention to see if they had empty chambers or were using snap caps.

I thought my experience would help some of you. My rifle was made in the 1960's and those particular firing pins are not easy to find and they are not cheap when I see them for sale.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

If it's a current manufacturered gun why can't you order a new one?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I dry fire all of my lever rifles with no issues at all. I be positive of having an empty chamber. I use a type of polymer that is used in the printing industry. I cut it to fit in front of the firing pin. I use 2 or 3 layers in each. I have placed live rounds in each rifle to test and the polymer absorbs the impact and does not fire the live round. That’s how I determine that I have enough to protect the firing pin.
I also do this with a Marlin 1889, with a manufacturing date of 1890. Again, no problems.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.