Lyman front sight options

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
bitterbeer
B Poster
B Poster

Lyman front sight options

Post by bitterbeer »

Have an MVA MR Soule sight and want to add a globe front sight on my Winchester '94 38-55. Lyman has 4 heights from.404 to .464. Anyone have experience on which might be best for silhouette?
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Lyman front sight options

Post by ppkny »

There all the same sight just different heights off the barrel. There's some guides out there to figure what height you'll need, but it mostly depends on what rear sight you have. You have to have enough travel on the rear sight for the chickens setting not to bottom out and for rams not to run out of height adjustment on the screw. Best to ask if anyone has the rear sight on the gun you're using to suggest a front sight height.
ppkny
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Probably best to pick the one closest to what ever front sight the rifle has on it now. That MVA sight will give you about 175 minutes of usable elevation, so being able to adjust the full range for silhouette and then some won't be a problem, except that with a front sight that is too tall, maintaining a good cheek weld might become a problem at the further distances.
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Post by emmettva »

I have just installed a lyman globe .404 on my 26" rebored 38-55 94 using the uberti rear sight with over 2" of elevation and using a 250 grain cast with 10 grains trail boss--a low verlocity load have no trouble hitting a ram at 200 meters plus about 1/2 -2/3 way up the staff. With a faster load you should use even less staff so the 404 or the next higher should be fine