who is the best barrel re-liner?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

who is the best barrel re-liner?

Post by shootmore »

We have a .357 Winchester 94 that probably needs a barrel reline. who is the best barrel re-liner?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: who is the best barrel re-liner?

Post by cedestech »

I've had Taylor Machine do a couple and they shoot. He is also recommended by several people I have taked to in BPCR. He uses TJ liners which are hammer forged.

He's in process of moving his shop and won't be up and running till summer.

YMMV.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Need a re-line before the July Nationals
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Unless it’s collectible or vintage age rifle, I’d buy another 357 rifle and move on. Relining is going to cost about $450 when you add in shipping plus there’s no accuracy guarantee by any gunsmith.

That said, I had Mark Chandlynn of Rocky Mountain Rifles reline a 110-yr old Winchester 92 takedown that is about 60% original finish. I sought him out because he doesn’t touch the crown. His technique is to ream the barrel from the breech end and not cut the crown. He’s a barrel maker and possesses the skill and deep boring machines to deliver a match grade barrel. People can’t tell my rifle has been relined. I’ve shot several 3/4” 100-yd groups with my 25-20 using hornady 60 and Speer 75’s. I consider myself lucky as Mark offered no guarantee.

My next reline may be my Marlin 39A by Mark using one of his liners or my TJ hammer forged liner I bought some years back.
- Joe
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

If you end up buying another rifle here is what I went with. IMO this is an excellent choice. Mine shoots extremely well and is very nice on the eye and has a great retro cool factor.
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1873- ... arrel.html
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Funny, I just asked Mark at Cimmaron that one. He called earlier this AM to tell me the two 30-30's 84's I ordered 11 months ago, they are being shipped today.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

I slugged the .357 barrel and found it to be on the money actually toward the tight side for a .357 :)
Hunted and hunted, finally found a new Winchester 94 pistol grip in .357 and bought it. :)