Wolf gunsprings

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
bitterbeer
B Poster
B Poster

Wolf gunsprings

Post by bitterbeer »

Wondered if anyone has used wolf gunsprings to make their winchester trigger a bit lighter. I have ‘94 Legacy angle eject and looking to improve the trigger a tad.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Wolf gunsprings

Post by cedestech »

Rebounding hammer?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
bitterbeer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bitterbeer »

Unfortunately yes.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Sorry, if you’re not really handy… I’d pay Smith that knows how to work on them… They are PITA.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Porpoise »

I put a reduced spring in mine and the hammer felt significantly lighter. Not so the trigger, it went from 6 to 5 pounds. I ended up getting rid of the rebound and working on the sear to get a nice 3 pound pull
bitterbeer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bitterbeer »

To get rid of the rebound hammer … is it “simply” replacing parts .. if that can be called simple.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

bitterbeer wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm To get rid of the rebound hammer … is it “simply” replacing parts .. if that can be called simple.
I am fairly handy and do my own fiddlin.... A few years ago I got a really good deal on a 26" 94, half mag, half round half octagon, pretty wood, pistol grip rifle.... didn't EVEN think about it being rebounding hammer. Picked it up at the FFL and immediately realized what I had done... did some research and decided the best use for the rifle was to resell it and get my money back out of it before it got love marks...

Your mileage may very. I do know it it possible to get a reasonable trigger out of them.

Good luck and if you invest the time and effort hopefully it'll be a shooter. (that is an optimist statement, not a pessimistic statement)

:)
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Winchester’s are tough. I have done triggers on a bunch of them. The Wolf spring will help very little and it sometimes creates miss fires. The only way to get one down to where it is shootable for silhouette is with a stone and time.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I'll second cedestech's advice about finding a good gunsmith to fix your trigger. It's worth what you pay in peace of mind.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I shoot a '94 Legacy. It's my favorite gun, but the stock trigger was pretty bad. Hard, gritty, and lots of creep.

The first thing I tried was a Wolfe spring which offered a small improvement, but caused misfires with cci primers. Next I filed .030" off the rebound legs of the spring strut for another incremental improvement. I wasn't happy yet, so I had a Smith do some conservative work on the sear. Now it was down to about 4lbs, but still marginal. Finally, after a discussion with "Edgehit", I pulled the hammer out and added some jb weld under the sear to reduce sear engagement. I slowly worked up through trial and error until it was about .010" thick, and the result was finally a good trigger. It was good enough that I went back to the stock hammer spring and that eliminated the occasional misfire.

What I learned is that you can still maintain the rebounding hammer and obtain a good trigger without spending money, only time.