30-30 loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

30-30 loads

Post by glen ring »

Does anyone have experience shooting light bullets in their 30-30? I shoot light bullets in my Marlin .22 magnum for the chickens and pigs and the heaverier slugs for turkeys and rams. I get lost in complicated sight adjustments , so the different impact of the light slugs allows me a 6 O'clock hold close and dead on, on rams. Has anyone tried this with the 30-30? I was thinking 125grain slugs for the close targets and 170s for the rams.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Hello glen ring, I shoot 110 round nose carbine bullets at chickens and pigs with almost no change in elevation (maybe a couple of clicks on the Marble tang sight) then for the turkeys and rams I use a 150 gr Speer bullets.

I do not have to make any sight changes to shoot turkeys from pigs and it only takes a total of eight clicks (one full turn on the Marble's sight) from chickens to rams.

I will tell you that since the 110 bullets do not have canelures none of my loads are crimped and I load them through the magazine one at a time. I do advice not crimping your loads unless you load them through the magazine like I do one at a time.

After I use up my large supply of 110 carbine bullets I will either be using 125 for the first two or three distances or I may use 150's for all four.

I do not like to give loads over the Internet so if you want to know the powder load I use send me a PM. To qualify my experience I will tell you I share the Cowboy LA NRA Open record with 76X80
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

30-30 loads

Post by glen ring »

Thank you sir, as always your advice on this post is most welcome by me and I'm sure the majority of users. PM is on the way.