35 Remington

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

35 Remington

Post by GTKF »

I'm looking at a Marlin 336 in 35. Since some have said the 30-30 may ring some Rams, I would expect the 35 with a 200 gr bullet would do a bit better.

Was wondering what experience others may have with this cartridge

Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I haven't seen many rams rung with 170-grain bullets and accurate loads out of 30-30s. I have seen a lot of people shooting way too high velocity/heavy loads at the shorter distance animals, though. If you're getting a dedicated gun for cowboy silhouette, I think I'd go with the 30-30 over a 35 Rem. For the same bullet weight, you'll get better ballistics out of the 30 cal bullet instead of the 35, too. Just my very limited experience and aversion to taking more recoil than necessary, so take it for what it's worth...
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Hi Ken,
Talk to Walt Gergory about the 35 as he shoots one. I shoot a 30/30 and ring rams a lot, a whole lot, with 170 grain bullets. I will eventually try a hotter load but don't like to go too hot in a lever 30/30. The reason I got the 30/30 in the first place is that I didn't have lots of bucks at the time and they are available used in any gunshop here in the east. Jack Shaw shoots a 38/55 and does well on the rams but I've even seen a 45/70 ring'em so there you go! If you don't have Walt's email let me know.
Richard
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Hi Rich (I assume Rich Bas)

I didn't know Walt shot a 35, assumed 30-30. I have his email and will ask his opinion. I know he asks us to set the Rams back to reduce ringers.

Ken
Hal
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hal »

The Silhouette Committie has changed the rules for the 200M Rams. So starting in 2008 they will be required to be set at topple point. Hal
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

ken,

I know this does not help, but, my wife just gave me a win 32 spl for Christmas. I have shot this rifle at a match and hit 7 rams without a single ringer. The bullets where 170 grain speer pushing about 2100 ft/sec.

As Jason stated, the trouble is the close animals and aiming low enough to hit them when sited on the belly of the rams. The 30/30 I tried and will purchase in few months, shot flatter for sure but not a lot flatter than the 32 spl. The 32 spl does kick some and I put a recoil pad on it. Now, it nice with no shoulder brusing at all. With a good recoil pad, I think you could make the 35 rem work great.
tim