Anticipated Christmas Gift

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Just an update to my previous post that may be of interest to anyone else having problems seeing the front sight when using corrective lenses;

A couple weeks ago I visited a local optometrist that had been recommended by one of the match directors that had similar eyesight issues as mine.

The doc did the obligatory standard exam, found that nothing had changed in my previous years old prescription except for a bit more astigmatism in one eye. His opinion was that my near vision (w/o correction) didn't warrant any close-up correction at all. This was consistent with what I'd felt as I am able to see the front sight fine w/o glasses.

He wrote me an updated script for the glasses that I'd use for driving/distance vision, but what he prescribed for my open sight shooting was what basically worked out to a "1/2 strength" version of the regular glasses.

My full strength script reads: -150 sphere, -50 cylinder for both eyes.
Whereas the shooting glasses script reads: -75 sphere, -50 cylinder for both OR just the right eye (he left me the option to only have the 1/2 strength script put only in my aiming eye).

Being skeptical AND cheap, I ordered a set of glasses in the shooting script in the cheapest large lens frame I could find, opting only for PolyCarbonate lenses treated with Anti-Reflection treatment.... I'm almost embarrassed to admit how cheap the glasses were (I'll just say $35 covered them with enough change left over for a cheap burger/drink).

Upon receipt of the new glasses and trying them out at the range.... All I can say is WOW, have I been missing out !

I was so excited to see (this pun intended) that I could focus on the front sight and STILL see all the animals, which direction they were facing, and could even make out where misses hit on the berm, using the new shooting script.

Results during the 1st match were VERY promising... I shot my best ever score on Turkeys and I was on par with my best ever in Pigs and Chickens. In practice I hit every Ram I shot at, but suffered badly during the match due to some tricky winds that picked up (in some discussions after the match, I found 2 of our best scoring competitors had the same problem with Rams that I did, only hitting about a 1/3rd as their usual numbers).

my .02/updated,

-Tim

Tlee wrote:I also felt the factory bead was WAY too small ( for me it was just a blur in any conditions or lighting).

I will say that the 17AUG's post, and even the beaded post, are much better. Although, I do have times occasionally that I cannot focus as clearly as I'd like on even them. It's usually when my eyes are somewhat fatigued from eyestrain at work. I'm trying to find an eye doctor that can prescribe glasses that would allow me to see the front clearly, but would let me still make out the animals somewhat. I'm sure they exist, but I'm not having much luck finding them. Simple bifocals won't allow me to even make out the animals (heck, I cannot even see 5 or 10 white spots in the distance with most bifocals)

-Tim