Anticipated Christmas Gift

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Equipment rules /cowboy rifles

Post by glen ring »

I agree with Lone Ringer on the way the rules are written.
I agree with Bob that a good shooter doesn't need all that stuff anyhow.
A few years ago I took up trap and I bought a $250.00 duck gun and a mec reloader. My friend bought a $4000.00 trap gun with shock absorbers in the stock and a host of widgets and do dads. I practiced every chance I could and talked to good shooters about their technique. My friend just talked a lot about his expensive gun. State match time I Beat him and he threw his gun in his car and burned rubber out of the parking lot. Nothing takes the place of PROPER practice. I know I shouldn't take pleasure in my friend getting mad, but it's kinda neat to beat someone who thinks they out spent you to the winner's podium. Back to JSIMMONS... I hope you get your Henry for XMAS!!!!! Cowboy silhouette is such a fun sport.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Sights

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Lone Ringer, I agree with you a 100 percent match style sights like Anchutz or Redfield should not be allowed, and Fiber Optics front sight on a Cowboy lever action rifle, even do they are allowed now, they should not be allowed in the future. The present rules specifies a post front sight. I don't know how any body can interpret a fiber optics wire looking at you, as a post sight.
By the way for your info. TRUGLO now makes a globe sight with a fiber optic insert, and it will fit in the standart 3/8" dovetail in the front of the barrel !!!!!!!!!
Evelio.
Evelio
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Equipment rules /cowboy rifles

Post by jsimmons »

glen ring wrote:Back to JSIMMONS... I hope you get your Henry for XMAS!!!!! Cowboy silhouette is such a fun sport.
I'm getting it, but I changed my mind and got the H001T (blued with octagon barrel) because I was afraid constant use would increase the likelihood that I'd somehow mar the brass plating on the Golden Boy. I want to change the sights, but I haven't decided if I want to go with a Marbles tang sight or the Williams FP-GR-TK. I'm looking for opinions on which one to get, but right now I'm kinda leaning towards the tang sight because it looks like it puts the peep a little closer to my eye (like when I draw my bowstring back on my target bow, the peep is just in front of my eye) .

As far as the front sight goes, I'm gonna get a Lyman 17A, but I'm not sure which height to get (there's three or four available). I want to be able to sign-in from at least 25-125 yards, so I figure I should get the one that's closest to the original sight's height.

I saw one person posted on RFC that he's using the Williams receiver sight with the Lyman AUG sight on his Henry (and he competes in cowboy silhouette), but that's the only reference I've found to a specific 17A version. If anyone here can comment on replacing the front sight on a Henry, I'm all ears.

If you didn't already know, I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I like to perform due diligence before spending any money. I want to make sure that the rifle is a) comfortably within the NRA rules, and b) is equipped with adequate modifications for competition. (I have yet to notice anyone claim they compete with the sights that came on the rifle.)

Unlike hunter class competition, the general thinking on sights is that you don't have to spend much more than $100 or so to get decent sights for cowboy silhouette competition. This makes SWMBO happy, because I warned her that I was gonna have to replace the APV on my CZ-452 sooner rather than later, and that it would be an expensive proposition. :)
Aim small - miss small...
-----
Got a Henry lever gun? Check out the Henry lever Gun Internet Competition
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

TURKEYSFEARME wrote:I would also like to see a period single shot class. I think a good way to eliminate high end match sights on lever guns is to only allow period sights. I agree that match sights don't offer much of an advantage over period sights but the expensive looking gear intimidates new shooters.
The problem you have with "period sight" is how to interpret "period". Period meaning the time when lever guns were originally introduced, or do you mean sights that were available when the rifle was in production?

I think the rules regarding sights should be better spelled out. How about something like this:

Sights
1) No scopes or other magnification devices are permitted.

2) No fiber optic sights are permitted.

3) Sights cannot be modified in any way, including polishing, painting , and other techniques that enhance the sight picture beyond what was provided by the sights.

3) Rear sights - Rear sights can be one of the following types: buckhorn, receiver, or tang. Buckhorn and receiver sights must be fitted without modification of the gun or the sight. Rifle modifications made to accommodate a tang sight must be limited to drilling/tapping no more than two holes in the tang. The sight itself cannot be modified in ANY way.

4) Front sights - Front sights can be globe, unhooded post, or unhooded bead sights. Neither the rifle nor the sight can be modified in any way in order to mount the sight.

If the rifle doesn't meet those specs, the shooter has the option of removing/replacing the sights before shooting, or shooting for no score for that match.

The only disadvantage a single-shot gun has over a tube-fed gun is time. A single-shot shooter will take more time to load. Are there any single-shot .22LR lever guns?
-----
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Sights

Post by jsimmons »

Evelio Mc Donald wrote:The present rules specifies a post front sight. I don't know how any body can interpret a fiber optics wire looking at you, as a post sight.
By the way for your info. TRUGLO now makes a globe sight with a fiber optic insert, and it will fit in the standart 3/8" dovetail in the front of the barrel !!!!!!!!!
Evelio.
The rules actually say bead *or* post. :)

I can't even see the factor front sight on my Henry. I've already ordered a Lyman, but I may be forced to get a fiber optic site just to be able to see the damn thing.

I went to the truglo site - they show a globe site for air guns, but not for the 3/8 dovetail.
-----
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jsimmons wrote:
Evelio Mc Donald wrote:The present rules specifies a post front sight. I don't know how any body can interpret a fiber optics wire looking at you, as a post sight.
Evelio.

I can't even see the factor front sight on my Henry. I've already ordered a Lyman, but I may be forced to get a fiber optic site just to be able to see the damn thing.

I went to the truglo site - they show a globe site for air guns, but not for the 3/8 dovetail.
I would be careful about adding any fiber optic sight as I would be willing to bet that they will be excluding them before it's all said and done. Get a Layman 17A front globe and post and if necessary go and get a set of reaing glasses that will allow you to see it. Sucks when you can't see anymore, I got clip ons for my Rx lens so I can see mine.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

JSimmons -

I've got the Lyman 17AUG on the Front, and the Williams FP-GR on the rear of my Henry H001T. Been using them a little over a year and they are a great improvement over the factory setup.

FWIW, I already have another set of the FP-AG/17AUG pair on the way for the H001TM that Santa is supposed to be bringing.

my .02,

-Tim

PS - Hope to cya at the CTSA or ARC matches!
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Bob259 wrote:
jsimmons wrote:
Evelio.

I would be careful about adding any fiber optic sight as I would be willing to bet that they will be excluding them before it's all said and done. Get a Layman 17A front globe and post and if necessary go and get a set of reading glasses that will allow you to see it. Sucks when you can't see anymore, I got clip ons for my Rx lens so I can see mine.
I got a Marbles tang sight and a Lyman 17A (AMI). But when I realized I couldn't even see the factory front sight, I became worried that I wouldn't be able to see the Lyman post insert either. My last resort before looking for a fiber-optic front sight is to paint the post with that truglo paint. Is there a rule against that? I didn't see one in the NRA rule book.

If I end up not being able to see it, and they create rules to prevent the use of fiber-optic sights, I guess I'll find other ways to compete with my Henry that don't include silhouette.
-----
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I also felt the factory bead was WAY too small ( for me it was just a blur in any conditions or lighting).

I will say that the 17AUG's post, and even the beaded post, are much better. Although, I do have times occasionally that I cannot focus as clearly as I'd like on even them. It's usually when my eyes are somewhat fatigued from eyestrain at work. I'm trying to find an eye doctor that can prescribe glasses that would allow me to see the front clearly, but would let me still make out the animals somewhat. I'm sure they exist, but I'm not having much luck finding them. Simple bifocals won't allow me to even make out the animals (heck, I cannot even see 5 or 10 white spots in the distance with most bifocals)

-Tim
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Yeah, I need two pair of glasses - one that lets me see about two feet away (I'm a computer programmer and stare at a screen all day, 5 days a week), and another pair that lets me see at much greater distances. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to see the rams, even with my long-distance glasses on.

If I have too much trouble with open sights at ranges over 50 yards, I guess I'll just put a scope on the rifle and compete in the Henry Lever Gun Internet Competition over on RFC. :)
-----
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Yep, I had 20/20 vision until about 1980, which happens to be about the same time I got involved with computers... It's been downhill ever since! I DO find that days that I'm focused on things requiring a lot of screen viewing, are then followed by days of trouble focusing the post on the barrel of about any gun.
OTOH, my best days of being able to see the front sights are predicated by days of "windshield time" in my work (I'm a systems analyst supporting customers in a wide geographic area).

-Tim
tbone49
A Poster
A Poster

Post by tbone49 »

Hi Boys, Tbone here. I shoot standard and hunter, but thinking of cowboy. I have a golden boy, and want to know where to get these sights you're talking about. I assume they need gunsmithing? Any help is appreciated and Merry Christmas! And can anthing be done about the trigger? Thanks
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

tbone49 wrote:Hi Boys, Tbone here. I shoot standard and hunter, but thinking of cowboy. I have a golden boy, and want to know where to get these sights you're talking about. I assume they need gunsmithing? Any help is appreciated and Merry Christmas! And can anthing be done about the trigger? Thanks
I get my rear peep from Williams directly, so your sure it's the right one
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

And I usually get my Lyman 17A front globes from Midway
http://wwwmidwayusa.com
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Midway has 'em both.

17AUG Lyman on the front and Williams FP-GR for the rear site.... Those are for the H001T and H001TM. No Smithin' required on those.

For some reason I don't think the Golden Boy has a 11mm groove to mount the FP-GR though. I think you'll have to use a Tang site for it.

TBone... The Henry's trigger is simple enough that I did my own, and I won't even attempt doing my own Contender trigger. Only a couple pins holding it in. Pretty easy to do. I didn't touch the spring, only stoned out the creep. Wound up with 2-1/2 lbs on one and about 2-1/4lbs on the other. About an hour of stoning is all thats required (that included re-installing, testing, and measuring every 10-15minutes).

-Tim
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Brownells also has all of those sights (cheaper than Midway by the way).

Marbles has a tang sight made specifically for the Golden Boy. I don't know which of the globe sights you would use, but it would be either the 17A AMI or the 17A AUG.
-----