CTSA Match - 01/27/2008

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

CTSA Match - 01/27/2008

Post by jsimmons »

This was my first silhouette match, shooting 60 targets, I shot a 17 using Kentucky elevation. I kinda hurt myself by sighting in at 100 yards (at another range) with the factory front sight, and then changing the front sight to a Lyman 17a the day before the match.

With no sighting in, practice was going pretty well, I was seemingly able to hit anything I happen to take aim at. It was a different story by the time the match started. The wind was kicking up pretty good, and I think I was shooting to fast. I have a month to fix the mechanical stuff, but there's no tellin' how long it's gonna take to fix the mental stuff.
Aim small - miss small...
-----
Got a Henry lever gun? Check out the Henry lever Gun Internet Competition
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

JS~

Glad you made it out to CTSA yesterday. The turnout was one of the best we've had and that was even with a half dozen of the "usual suspects" not showing up due to "honey do's".

Shooting a 17 using only Kentucky windage is actually pretty good, IMHO. I don't recall hitting that many animals even WITH good site settings when I started out, LOL!

Hope to see you at the ARC match on 2nd Sundays... Same match format except we also set the smallbore HP/CLA animals in the afternoon match as well, for folks that can't make the morning session.

-Tim

PS - Don't feel bad about the wind affecting you... I hit every Ram I shot at in practice, but had my worse Ram score EVER in the match (only hit ONE out of 15!@#$%). I actually hit more in the afternoon shootoff than during the match (hit 3, only 2 fell.... lost the shootoff to my son who dropped 4). Two of the top scorers had similar problems with Rams as well, only hitting about a 1/3rd their usual number.
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Wit the price of gas the way it is, I don't think I'll be driving to Austin very often, but maybe once or twice this year. I had a great time yesterday despite my self-induced sight problems, and I'm sure I'll do better next month.

Speaking of sights, I was looking around on the internet and found this:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(qnedxm ... CREED-3-WE

At just $55, I went ahead and ordered one just to see if it would fit my Henry. It has a vernier on the left side that looks like it would be better than having a Marbles where you have to count clicks. The only potential problem I see is that the underside of the base might have too much arch in it, but I think that can be fixed with some judicious sanding.
Aim small - miss small...
-----
Got a Henry lever gun? Check out the Henry lever Gun Internet Competition