Creedmore Tang Sight on a Henry - Info

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Creedmore Tang Sight on a Henry - Info

Post by jsimmons »

Last week, I mentioned that I had ordered RS-CREED-3-WE creedmore tang sight from Track of the Wolf. They have dozens of other tang sights listed, but most of them are way too tall for the small-bore Henry lever guns, and almost all of them are more expensive than I think a lot of us are willing to spend (before we get our tax refunds anyway).

The sight arrived today, and I am happy to report that the sight will indeed work on a Henry H001 and H001T, albeit with a few very minor modifications.

1) When folded down, the elevation knob may contact the stock, depending on how far up the tang the sight is mounted.

For my test fitting, I used the front hold that had already been drilled/tapped for my Marbles sight, but the sight can probably be moved 1/4 inch further up the tang without interference from the bolt. This might give the clearance necessary for the sight to be folded all the way down. Alternately, the knob could be filed down to be a bit shorter.

2) The sight is just a hair off being perpendicular to the bore (it goes just a little too far forward). This can be fixed by shimming the site post just above the screw that attaches the post to the base. I'll probably use some adhesive aluminum tape as shim material (yes, it's that close to being perfect already).

3) The sight base is just a bit wider than the Marbles base, but it does not require modification to the stock.

4) The vernier on the side is hard to read because the numbers aren't painted. I'm going to try to remedy this with a paint pen.

I'm going to order a new polished receiver cover and have this sight mounted on it.

For guys with 22 mags you will enjoy the ability to sight in at longer ranges without running out of adjustment.

Other notes:

Windage adjustments are fairly pointless, and not really repeatable. The windage screws (yes, there are two) need to be loosed and the center post screw also needs to be loosened in order to effect windage adjustments according to the design of the sight. The windage screws lean the sight in one direction or the other.

You need to loosen the aperture in order to make elevation adjustments. I have min loosened enough to make adjustments, but not so loose as to make it easy to move out of adjustment. A side effect of loosening the aperture is that you can also make windage adjustments by moving the aperture from side to side.

Despite all the little quirks I've mentioned above, this sight is a real bargin at $55, and is $30 cheaper than a Marbles. Besides that, it adds a certain amount of "cool" because it's something you don't see every day. Here are some side-by-side pics (the Marbles sight is the shortest of the two):

Aim small - miss small...
-----
Got a Henry lever gun? Check out the Henry lever Gun Internet Competition
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Well, I took off my Marbles sight, and using the front hole I did a test fit of the creedmore. It looked and felt right, so I took it to the range. The performance was outstanding, so I took the gun to the gunsmith and had him drill tap for the rear hole.

Here's what it looks like on the rifle:

In this picture, it looks like the elevation knob is touching the stock, but it isn't.

Here are a couple with the sight flipped up into firing position.

I'm not sure how big the aperture is (it feels like 0.40), and I don't know if larger ones are available.

One benefit to this tang sight is that it will work with a globe sight that is pretty much any height, even the Lyman MJT-20 (7/8 diameter, 0.700 inches tall, accepts Anschutz inserts), or the Lyman 93 Match globe sight on a riser block.

If you want a more period look on your Henry, and you have $55 to spare, this is the best deal going.
-----
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

I'm very curious to find out how you like that after you have shot a few matches with it. Keep us posted, please.
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

I've already shot a target series for HLGIC, and I scored 9 points less than I did with the marbles, but I was all mental because I didn't like the shooting range I was at.
-----
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

jsimmons wrote:I've already shot a target series for HLGIC, and I scored 9 points less than I did with the marbles, but I was all mental because I didn't like the shooting range I was at.
Any range is a good range!! :lol: :lol:
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Not this one. On the 50-yard line, the targets hang from a wire strung across the burm, and the targets flap in the wind. There is no real delineation between firing positions and their are no gaps between the benches at all. As my brash ejected, the guyy to my immediate right was peppered with .22 LR casings. At the same time, the guy next to me was shooting a 223 semi-auto, and the shells were bouncing off my spotting scope.

I was going to shoot the 100 yard line, but they don't allow off-hand shooting on the 100 yard line. How freakin' pathetic is that?

This range truly sucks for real riflemen.
-----