miss firing

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

miss firing

Post by timfinle »

Well, I had a local gunsmith put the wolff spring kit for a 336 minus the lightening of the lever action into my marlin 32 spl. Went to the range to sight it in for an upcoming match and guess what? When I loaded the gun and opporated the lever to load a shell into the chamber the bullet would load fine and the hammer would cock. When I pulled the trigger the hammer functioned but no bang. If I cocked manually then the gun fired. I tried this with two differnent load that used different brass and primers with same results. When I inspected a shell after it did not fire, it appears to have a light strike from the firing pin.

Any thoughts before I take it back to the gunsmith?
tim
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

too light

Post by Travelor »

Your gunsmit put too light of a mainspring.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

I use a wolf reduced power hammer spring and a happy trails trigger in my marlin 336a in 30-30 and am having no problems exept sometimes I forget just how lite the trigger pull is (1lb 10oz with lyman trigger pull guage) I did have that problem on the marlin 1897 22LR with fed classic 710 ammo so I have put the factory hammer spring back in the gun and found no increase in trigger pull weight. I would recommend replacing the wolf spring with the factory one. With the "happy trigger" pull should be close to 3LB.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Trevor,

So if I understand correctly, the wolff spring in the kit is too light. Why does everyone else seem to work. It is ordered specificly for the 336. Can the gun smith increase the tension by inserting a small shim?
tim
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

no, the wolf springs work very well in both my marlin 32 mag and 30-30. Doesn't seem to work in the rebounding hammer of the 1897 cowboy 22lr 24" barrel that I have with the fed. classic 710 ammo, so I put the factory spring back into the 22 rifle and will try that when it warms up again.