Why Don't They Allow .17HMR

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Why Don't They Allow .17HMR

Post by jsimmons »

I noticed that the NRA rules don't allow .17HMR. Why not?
Aim small - miss small...
-----
Got a Henry lever gun? Check out the Henry lever Gun Internet Competition
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

17 cal

Post by GregG »

It is extremely hard on expensive targets......
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I agree : TARGET DAMAGE Al Foust
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

Even on the high-power targets? Everything from 22mag to .30-30 (or higher?) is allowed, but the .17HMR is conspicuous by its absence. Does it really hit that much harder?
-----
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Why would you want to shoot a 17HMR at high power targets? The only thing is might accomplish is a tiny little dimple in the big target that far away.
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jsimmons »

I don't want to - I was just wondering because they don't list the cartridge as allowable.
-----
Infidel
B Poster
B Poster

Historical relevance

Post by Infidel »

It seems to me that the entire focus of Cowboy Silhouette is on Cowboy-era guns and ammunition. The rifles have to be of a type used in the late 1800s, and firing a cartridge of a type common in that era, with some notable inclusions of straight-case centerfires that are similar to cowboy-era cartridges although they weren't around until the 20th century (.357 and .44).

The .22 rimfire short dates to 1854/1857, and was the first commercial cartridge in the USA. The long came along in 1871, and the long rifle in 1887; the first two were black powder rounds, I'm not sure if the long rifle was first loaded with black powder or smokeless. They have historical cowboy-era relevance.

The .17 HMR (and HM2) is a modern hotrod gizmo with jacketed bullets and NO cowboy relevance.
TURKEYSFEARME
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TURKEYSFEARME »

I agree target damage is probably the main reason it isn't allowed but I have to wonder why anyone would even want to use this caliber for cowboy pistol cal? The tiny bullet probably wouldn't topple the rams even with a solid hit!
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

It'd definitely not take down a Pistol Cartridge thickness Ram... Classic case of regardless of velocity, there's just not enough weight to the bullet to push it over/off. It's doubtful whether it'd take down a Pistol Cartridge Pig, IMHO.

As far as damage is concerned.... I know for fact that 17HMR will practically "laser drill" a piece of 1/8th inch mild steel that would "just be dimpled" using 22LR High Velocity and PC cartridge loads in 22 Hornet and 32 H&R Mag. I use a sheet of it as a 45 degree downward angled backstop at 100 yards sometimes when there are livestock present the other side of a hill where I occasionally punch paper.

Therefore, I assume it'd definitely damage smallbore thickness animals.

my .02,

-Tim
jsimmons
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Historical relevance

Post by jsimmons »

Infidel wrote:It seems to me that the entire focus of Cowboy Silhouette is on Cowboy-era guns and ammunition. The rifles have to be of a type used in the late 1800s, and firing a cartridge of a type common in that era, with some notable inclusions of straight-case centerfires that are similar to cowboy-era cartridges although they weren't around until the 20th century (.357 and .44).

The .22 rimfire short dates to 1854/1857, and was the first commercial cartridge in the USA. The long came along in 1871, and the long rifle in 1887; the first two were black powder rounds, I'm not sure if the long rifle was first loaded with black powder or smokeless. They have historical cowboy-era relevance.

The .17 HMR (and HM2) is a modern hotrod gizmo with jacketed bullets and NO cowboy relevance.
I guess that almost makes sense , except they also allow 22 magnum which is most definitely a modern cartridge.
-----
Infidel
B Poster
B Poster

Yabut, ...

Post by Infidel »

Well, .22 WMR is a 1950s stretched version of an 1890s cartridge, straight walled case, lead bullet, derived from the .22 s, l, lr series by making the case larger so as to avoid using a heeled bullet. The .357 and .44 magnums are similar in their development,-- stretched versions of older cartridges (early 1900s) that were derived from 1870 era cartridges that used heeled bullets, only they went to smaller bullets in the same cases rather than a larger case with the same bullet diameter.

Anyhow, it's just my first thought as a reason not to allow the very new hotrods that use jacketed bullets. The stuff about target damage and inadequate momentum on the targets are valid reasons, also. I'm just more attuned to the historical aspects of the firearms and ammunition.