Where do you hold on the targets?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
hotbrass
Unclassified Poster

Where do you hold on the targets?

Post by hotbrass »

I have been holding on the base of the targets and having reasonably good success.

However, sometimes when shooting matches that last most of the day, starting with the sun low and then bright sun and then clouds make it difficult to keep a good baseline hold.

I am thinking about moving to a POI hold so I can just hold on the center of mass.

Anyone have any thought or suggestions?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I set up all my lever guns to hold to the center of the animals. I feel this is benifical when shooting in windy conditions. I can hold a little right or left as need be and still keep my reference for elevation. Al F.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

I use a 6 o'clock hold on the belly of the animals, lets me see exactly where I am, if I try to hold POI I lose the top of the post.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

hold

Post by glen ring »

I hold different places in smallbore cowboy silhouette . Chicken -on the feet, pigs on the belly, turkeys-where the leg joins the body and rams-center of mass.

My .22 mag marlin shoots right on all the way to the rams.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

For PC:

C = hold on the bottom of leg leg, P = Hold on the between the legs, T = half way up leg, R = bottom of the belly.

Center fire

C = Bottom of the foot, P = Bottom of the foot, T = 1/2 way up the lleg body junction, R = Belly
tim
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

Hold on the belly of each animal with iron sights (top of post / bead). adjust bullet impact to center of animal. This allows low hit if you accidentally break at the foot and high hits if you accidentally break center animal. And we all know a hit is a hit
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

target hold

Post by glen ring »

I'm shooting an 1894 marlin in .357. I'm shooting 158grain bullets at near listed maximum loading. I have stock sights and there isn't enough elevation for a 200 yard belly hold on the ram. I hold on the very bottom of the chicken's feet, very bottom of the pig's feet, where the leg joins the turkey's body, and about half the front bead over the ram's back.

I'd like to hold at 6 oclock on all animals, and shoot a 180 grain bullet, but I guess I run out of sight adjustment.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Sounds like it's time to invest in either a new rear (taller) or front (shorter) sight, even if you want to stay with the type that came on the rifle. :)