NO MORE FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS FOR COWBOY

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

NO MORE FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS FOR COWBOY

Post by lone ringer »

Hello everyone, got a call from a good friend and told me the word is that the Silhouette Committee in their infinite wisdom decided to outlaw fiber optic front sights and leather cheek pieces for 2011. If you are one of those affected you may want to write a letter to Greg Connor showing your concerns. I waited several years to get my fiber optic front sights since I am near sighted and some times have trouble seeing my front sights. A lot of us that participate in Cowboy are over 60 years old and have trouble seeing the sights and the use of fiber optic sights never seemed to be a topic of dissension amongst our group at nats competitors meetings.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: NO MORE FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS FOR COWBOY

Post by Bob259 »

Heard that this AM as well Tony.... I waited awhile to see if it was going to come up and it's been a few years now and no problems so I got one. The only bad thing is I just got mine mounted and the rifle sighted in... :(( Now I won't even be able to try it out X(
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

If we the affected write letters to Greg Connor's Boss and other NRA higher ups we may be able to stop this rule change before it actually happens.
The Silhouette Committee recommendation has to go through the Rules and Competition committee for final approval.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

It's hard to believe that no one had any concerns about fiber optic sights and it just got changed on a whim. What is the major argument against them? Is it that they are modern technology that gives an advantage?
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Jason wrote:It's hard to believe that no one had any concerns about fiber optic sights and it just got changed on a whim. What is the major argument against them? Is it that they are modern technology that gives an advantage?

Yes.
ANTHONY G
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ANTHONY G »

Good morning silhouette shooters I just got of the phone with gregg conors. fibre optic front sights can not be used at the 2011 nationals. however than can be used at local matches according to Greg. He said some shooters are rapping the front sight with fibre optic material ( making A light collector) . Please write to the NRA president and ask him to re think this rule. As A 62 year old shooter I need to see my front sight as well as many other older shooters do. sincerly Anthony G rambuster 40
ANTHONY G
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I don't understand that. We need one set of rules. If they aren't legal at nationals, then they shouldn't be legal at any NRA-approved or registered match. If they are legal at NRA-approved and registered matches, then they should be legal at nationals.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Jason wrote:I don't understand that. We need one set of rules. If they aren't legal at nationals, then they shouldn't be legal at any NRA-approved or registered match. If they are legal at NRA-approved and registered matches, then they should be legal at nationals.
I agree, that makes no sense at all.... and yet again, another clear, concise and easily understood ruling by the NRA :-o :-??

timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Can someone post the NRA phone number to call so we can let them know our opinions?
tim
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

National Rifle Association
Attn: Silhouette Dept.
11250 Waples Mill Rd
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 703.267.1474
Fax: 703.267.3941

email: silhouette@nrahq.org

TXCharlie
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TXCharlie »

The committee did not change the rules, there is a 5 year moratorium on rules changes, they made it an option for the match director to allow or disallow fiber or the leather cheek pads. This sounds like the illustrious demo's running congress, this is our decision and you will like it.
The NRA has almost killed Black Powder Rifle Silhouette with rules changes and infighting, looks like Cowboy Rifle Silhouette is the next one on the list.
Remember when there were LARGE crowds of Pistol Silhouette shooters, the past is being repeated again. WE/THEY are determined to not learn from the past but to only keep repeating it.
Charlie

ps... what is the next game we will start for them to KILL?????
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

I use fibre optic front sights. The reason I use them is because at the nationals they use black targets and the sight blends in with the animal at all matches at home they are white targets so black sight works fine. I would be fine if they wanted to discontinue them but it should be instituted as a rule in the NRA rule book and not left up to the person who runs the match! It would cause to much inconsistancy in our game from club to club. Now if we are running a regional match we have to make the decision if they are going to be allowed, I don't think we should be put in that position.
TXCharlie
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TXCharlie »

Well Charlie I read the comments and we all know that the silhouette committee and Conner seem to not listen to the shooters but assume they know best so any type of reaction to a rules change or perceived rules change will fall on deaf ears. This can be documented in my attempt to get an open class and factory class for years in both smallbore and high-power. I think this rule is again directed at those that win and not for the general good of the sport. The post by the one shooter pointing out that a majority of the shooters are of an age that their eye sight is going but still enjoy to shoot are of no consequence to the NRA because Conner and his employees still have a job if there are only 2 shooters. The fact that blackpowder has dwindled to a point at the national level is proof of this fact. Again the NRA will kill a segment of the sport that is both fun and enjoyable. I think that all of the people ruling the sport should come out and shoot and find out that the equipment doesn't make a winner but practice and skill do more than any piece of add on. Since I don't read or view this site please if you like post this to the site. Hell my whole shooting career has been some type of disagreement with the rules committee and its members.

William Zander 2nd overall 2010 Cowboy Nationals
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Below is a copy of my letter to the NRA competitions director Michael Krei. Feel free to copy/edit it and send to him.
Bob259 posted the snail mail address. Phone for Mr Krei is (703) 267-1460, email is
compadmin@nrahq.org

My experience in getting a national trophy delivered from Raton years ago was that I had to send all the way to the top before Greg responded.
It is time to push the NRA to respond to the competitors, not to their wims.

Mary Watkins

November 10, 2010.

Dear Mr. Krei,

As a competitive lever action silhouette shooter it has come to my attention that the NRA silhouette director and committee have decided to not allow fiber optic front sights in the 2011 nationals. And further the decision is to allow match directors the choice of allowing or not allowing the use of these sights, in the approved matches.

There are many of the competitors who for various reasons have vision problems that prevent them from competing without the use of fiber optics.

By not allowing competitors to use these sights, there will be a large drop in the participation, and the inconsistencies of allowing match directors to set their own rules in an approved/registered match will create further problems.

Historically the NRA has implemented rules in the silhouette disciplines that have methodically diminished the participation in each of the disciplines (smallbore, pistol, and Black Powder).

The Lever action version has been growing, but with this ruling will start its decline immediately. I feel that it is time that NRA competition department start paying attention to the competitors in the sport, and attempting do all that is required to encourage more shooters, even those with ‘minor handicaps’ that do not prevent some form of normally daily function, such as vision.

If there is truly such a strong protest against fiber optics from the competitors, then create a separate class for them, much the way smallbore was in the early days of iron sights and scoped, based on what people could afford and were comfortable shooting.

Sincerely,

Cc: Greg Conner
Jon Leighton
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Thanks Mary, My letter will be in the mail today.
ppkny