Help me set up a Marlin Model 60 for Cowboy SB

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Help me set up a Marlin Model 60 for Cowboy SB

Post by Jetmugg »

The club where I normally shoot SB Silhouette and SB Hunter is going to start shooting Cowboy SB this year. (St Louis Benchrest Club) I would like to have a '50's or '60's Marlin 39A, but that's just not in the budget right now. What I do have is a family member with a Marlin model 60 semi-auto that will allow me to use for SB cowboy matches. This is a late-model Marlin 60, I'm not sure what the factory sights are, as I haven't laid eyes on the rifle yet. I realize that this is not a "Cowboy" rifle in the purest sense of the word, but it is legal for the class and readily available.

I'd like to figure out a good combination of sights (Willams peep rear?) to work with the grooved receiver, or some other rear sight, and then a matching hooded front sight with interchangeable inserts. Some trigger work will probably be in order, also. I know that RFC is a pretty good resource for tuning of the triggers and actions.

Anyway, for those of you already in the Cowboy SB game, can you recommend a setup of sights that will work with a Marlin model 60?

Thanks,

SteveM.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Help me set up a Marlin Model 60 for Cowboy SB

Post by cedestech »

I currently shoot a '68 model 60 in Cowboy silhouette. I am shooting AA and have made AAA scores twice with it last year.

Since the front blade and feed tube are one piece a globe is out of the question. I use the front blade and a Marble Bullseye rear. Very cheap and effective.

As with any other gun first thing you need to do is find the ammo it likes. I lucked out that my 60 LOVES Federal Automatch.

I "believe" the later model 60's you can mount a dovetail adaptor and a globe front sight which will give you the hieght for a peep rear mounted on the reciever.

I shot my first match with the stock sights and still shot high A score.

It's definantly cheaper then a 39a and a easy way to play the game.

Good luck, :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
JOSEPHVILLE GUN
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JOSEPHVILLE GUN »

Steve,
hope to see you there
good luck
Shane
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

cedestech wrote:I

I "believe" the later model 60's you can mount a dovetail adaptor and a globe front sight which will give you the hieght for a peep rear mounted on the reciever.
:)
An arguable point. If you are using an adapter, that would indicate the sight is not made for the gun and would not be allowed
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Shane - I couldn't stick around after the last SB match to check out the Cowboy action at STL BRC. Did they shoot the cowboy match, or was it too late in the day? I had to get to my daughter's first basketball game and couldn't stay late.

Regarding the rules for sights, I don't have my rulebook handy, and this is the only language I could find online regarding what sights may be used for Cowboy matches.

"1. Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle they are mounted on. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be hooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only."

In this case, for something like a Marlin 60, the rear sight being "manufactured for the rifle" should mean any sight that is manufactured for a rimfire dovetail mount. Regarding the front sight, I'm 98% sure that the later model Marlin 60's use a removable ramp that can be replaced with any number of suitable front sights (post, bead, or hooded). There are also "fire sights" available for Marlin model 60's.

It's my understanding that fire sights (fiber optic) have been considered OK to use in Cowboy matches. Can anyone make a recommendation about the use of these sights?

SteveM.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

I just found the 2012 revision to the Cowboy rules regarding sights. I guess I need to buy a new rule book this year....

1. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No international or Olympic type sights, or extended mounts are permitted.

The front sight must be a post or bead or, if changeable inserts, may use a post or bead insert only.

A front sight antiglare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8" to include any attachments and no larger than a 3/4" outside diameter, may be used.

Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8" in length. In an anti-glare tube, the fiber optic material may not be any longer than the tube or extend outside the tube. The fiber optic sights do not need to be commerically manufactured.