Henry 001 Sights

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Henry 001 Sights

Post by Tlee »

Another Dang 9 wrote:
L. Rivard wrote:While we are on the subject of Marble's problems, if you have occasion to fold the sight down to the tang, do so with a firm grip on the windage knob. If you don't the sight will usually fail to come back to the same point and change the windage adjustment.
I have marbles sights on 5 different guns and have none of the problems you guys are talking about. I'm AAA in all 3 catagorys and may make master in pccbr this year.

:-bd I always felt it was the indian and not the brand of bow and arrow that makes the shooter ^:)^
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Another Dang nine, it is nice to know some Marbles sight don't have these problems, count your blessings. My three do. We have similar backgrounds, as I am also AAA in the three classes and hoping to make master (one leg up) this year although in smallbore. None of which means a damned thing of course, with regards to problems with Marbles sights. I tend to ignore that which I cannot measure. These sights move imprecisely, which can be measured and verified. Tlee, it's easy to tell which Indian neglects his bow, he's the one without a scalp.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I have a shooting friend who uses the Marble tang sight on his rifles. He said he had to send them back three times before he got one that was tight and repeatable.

The MVA Sharps tang sight is perfect for these lever action rifles. It is well made and accurate. There's nothing more troubling than a sight that won't repeat. The MVA sight is worth the extra cost.

Jim
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

When I was a kid shooting in a Junior league the sight on my Goverment surplus Stevens 413 had a lot of slop. Cost me score wise compared to the kids using rifles with Lyman 48's I vowed never to use poor sights again. Lot of things we talk about accuracy wise, your sight controls every single shot.

I don't trust any of them until proven, Put a dial indicator on the rifle and see whats what.

Boats
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

L.Rivard what sight do you use on your rifles? at $250 a pop they get pricey quick.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Lyman 66's or Williams are about 70 bucks from Brownell's. MVA's Sharps tang is 285 as I recall, I have one on a Low Wall Winchester Schuetzen and it's a very good sight. On my Marlin original 1894 have the MVA tang without windage adjustment or leade screw, 220 dollars. Lack of leade screw takes nothing away from the sights precision. That particular rifle is not real accurate only used as a back up gun for Pistol Caliber so never invested in the Windage sight. Collectable did not want to drill it for a Lyman 66. You can get additional bases and use the same tang sight on all 3 guns. Other people make good tang sights too.

I don't shoot CLA very serious and have found the Lyman's perfectly adequate. Same with my spotter and shooting buddy who uses Williams. He shoots all 3 guns AAA class so do I. If I was going to focus on Master class every single shot would count and would spend the money for one MVA 3 sets of bases same sight all 3 guns. 64 years old, not real great eyesight I need every advantage I can get within the rules

Having said all that only Master CLA shooter in our club uses Marbles. He's a very good shot whatever he uses any sport he shoots.

I use the MVA in Schuetzen and have seen many times little bit more precision than the next guy pays off in match standing. Mostly tweaking elevations and wind just a few points to keep my groups centered up.

Boats
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Another Dang Nine, I use Marbles tang sights on for all three classes, but I use a detachable measuring device to verify elevation after each elevation change. I also watch the orientation of the two spanner holes on the windage shaft to be sure I haven't lost adjustment folding the sight. The way I read the new sight rules the Redfield 75 ought to be legal now. If that proves to be true I will start looking for Redfield 75's to replace the tang sights.
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cimarron Red »

I have used Marbles tang sights with good results for quite a while, and I still have one on the Winchester 9422 that I use for SBCLA. When you get a good one, it's a serviceable sight. But owing to my interest in BPCR silhouettes I went to MVA vernier sights for CLA and PCCLA about 10 or 12 years ago, first using a Model 130 Sharps-style and next a Schuetzen soule (Model 104.) I would use one of these sights on the 9422, but I don't think MVA makes a suitable base.

I live less than two hours north of the NRA Whittington Center, so I shoot monthly matches there -- and the Nationals, of course. And I live about the same distance south of the Golden Gun Club near Denver. The Golden matches generally follow NRA rules, but they are not NRA approved. They also offer a single-shot category along with the lever guns, and I often will shoot two rifles in a match. I use MVA sights on my single-shot rifles as well. Yes, MVA sights are pricey, but guess-work in making sight adjustments becomes a thing of the past.