Henry 001 Sights

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

Henry 001 Sights

Post by steveyacht »

I have a Henry 001 that I won at a Friends of the NRA Banquet. I would like to include this in SB Silo shooting. I would like a tang mounted sight or some other better sighting equipment that fall within the rules. I have looked at the Marbles sights and those that mount in place of the stock rear sight and those that can be mounted on the rear scope grooves.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Henry 001 Sights

Post by Tlee »

Williams FP-GR or FP-GR-TK rear sight works great. If you have the round barrel H001 there's not much you can do about the front sight short of filing it narrower, if it's too wide to suit you tastes. If you have the H001T (octagon barrel) you can replace the front sight with a Lyman 17AUG and have interchangeable inserts.

-Tim
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steveyacht »

How do these mount to the gun?
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

steveyacht wrote:How do these mount to the gun?
The FP-GR mounts to the scope dovetail that's on the H001/H001T's receiver cover. The GoldenBoys don't have the dovetail and you'd have to use a tang sight on it.

BTW, the TK suffix simply signifys target knobs for azimuth/elevation adjustments. The non-TK version uses a screwdriver to adjust az/el. The knob/screws can also be purchased separately to convert to a TK version, if required.

-Tim
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Go with the marbles tang sight and the merit target disk. I've been using that set up for years and its never let me down. Buy once and cus once or buy everything else and cus all the time. :-bd
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Another Dang 9 wrote:Go with the marbles tang sight and the merit target disk. I've been using that set up for years and its never let me down. Buy once and cus once or buy everything else and cus all the time. :-bd
I know some folks love them, but I''m amongst a few that havent quite gotten them figured out. I've tried the Marbles on 2 different guns, went back to the Williams on both. Now i have a Marbles on a Winchester that I'm trying REAL hard to warm up to... I dunno if it's because I started out with the Williams 1st or what, but I'm struggling with the Marbles.

Some of it is a low confidence thing in the sight settings. I can predict my sight settings within a MOA with the Williams, so if I'm sighted in on one target, I'm sighted in 99% of the time on all of them... I haven't yet found the "number of turns/clicks between the target" formula on the Marble and wind up with a different setting every time I try to shoot it. I tend to see a much bigger difference especially when going from bright to overcast or vise-versa with the Marbles, but not nearly as much with similar light changes with the Williams. Something to do with the rear aperture distance from the eye, perhaps?

I'd love to know "the secret Marbles handshake" cause I'd definitely prefer the longer site radius it would provide!

-Tim
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

For us older farts you have to use an adjustable rear apature like the one sold by Merit http://www.meritcorporation.com it works like a camera and adjusts for varying light. I have a sticker on my rifle that has the click values on it so I never have to remember anything...which gets harder to do every year. The 28 # on chickens is how many clicks up from the very bottom. Then the other click values are from that piont UP to the rams. I put the sight on to low on the tang, thats why I have so many clicks up from bottom. Thats what I get for following their directions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Endowment Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Thanks for the pic, I use something very similar for my sights on all the guns. However, when I tried the same thing on the Marbles I get varying results, usually resulting in me having to hurriedly run through ALL the target/distances because the relative clicks between each seem to change somewhat radically (up to a dozen clicks or more) from one day to the next, or even if the light conditions change on the same day. I've probably erased the Marbles settings and re-written them, reapplied the label at least a couple times due to the changes I'd encounter.

I find I don't have similar sight changes on the Williams. If I verify my sight settings on one bank of targets (usually the turkey or ram) all of the other sight settings remain relatively the same (relative to where I verified... at least the same # of turns/clicks between each). As an example, on one SBCLA gun my chicken/pig setting is exactly full 2 turns from bottomed out, turkey is 1 additional turn (3 total), and Ram is one additional turn yet (4 total). On a second SBCLA gun my chicken/pig setting is at 6 turns, Turkey is at 7, and Ram is at 8 turns plus 4 clicks (this gun has a longer sight radius). Occasionally my average point of impact may vary an inch or so one day to the next, however nothing more than about 3-4 clicks max.

I have also tried an adjustable merit aperture on both the Williams and the Marbles (the threads on them are different). What I found is that probably 9 times out of 10, the setting I come up with on the Williams is almost exactly .050, similar to one of the fixed apertures that I commonly use. The exception being an extremely overcast day, where I'd open the aperture up a couple clicks. On the Marbles, I've tried everything from just over .050 to the "all the way closed" position, which barely lets any light through at all, and I still get the inconsistencies from one target change to the next, regardless of the lighting.... although it IS MORE inconsistent in varying light conditions.

I'm wondering if I've some other issue (perhaps with my eyes) that is preventing me from being able to use the Marbles consistently (probably due to the difference in distance that the aperture is from the eye). I did have a laser repair on a retina done a couple years ago in the dominant/aiming eye, but then I recall having this same issue previous to the procedure. Last eye exam (about a year ago), my eyes showed the same correction requirement as they did about 3 years previous. No other issues with the eyes were noted in the exam.

-Tim
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

The Marbles tang sights can be a problem. I really can't pinpoint why, since elevation is effected by a screw thread, but the actual vertical movement varies click to click. You can verify or disprove this on your own sights by mounting a dial indicator solidly relative to the rifle and measuring the movement. I have Marbles on a Marlin 336, a M1894, and an M39, and they are all inconsistent though by varying amounts. To get around this I have used the factory rimfire scope mount from the M39 to hold an easily detachable bracket holding a zero to one micrometer barrel vertically over the Marbles stem. I can then measure actual movement. I made similar bases for the 94 and 336 and use the same tool on all three. I can usually bring the actual stem height back to the same place stage to stage within a couple of thousands, though sometimes the desired reading falls between clicks. Failing actual measurement, try pulling up on the stem after each adjustment that helps a little. Better yet, now that they seem to be legal, try to find some Redfield 75 sights to use.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

L. Rivard wrote:The Marbles tang sights can be a problem. I really can't pinpoint why, since elevation is effected by a screw thread, but the actual vertical movement varies click to click. (snip.....)
THANK YOU! Man, I thought it was "just me", LOL!

I hadn't thought of trying a dial indicator on it... but... (somewhat embarrassed to admit this since it should've been so obvious)... I do carry a dial caliper in my range box that I could probably use to accomplish the same thing (just not quite with the accuracy of the dial indicator/micrometer).

BTW, would you happen to have a picture of the mount you described?

Thanks again,

-Tim
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I put a dial indicator on everything just to see whats really happening. Lyman's 66's while not of the best material click reliably as long as you take the stop screw out. It does not stop just causes the arm to bend. Have checked Friends Williams and they are repeatable too. Old Redfields can be counted on as well. Want to see slop put the dial indicator on a "match" AR 15 sight. I use Lyman's on everything just so I don't have to think about how they work when changing rifles SB-Pistol Caliber-CLA. All 3 use the Merritt disk

Tang sights vary widely. My old 39A with a original Lyman 1A will repeat if I count turns from the bottom. Have a dot of white paint to indicate center. Never owned a Marbles tang, one rifle I bought had one, took it off for a Lyman 66. Based on what I see at matches on other guys rifles it never got as far as the dial indicator stage. Last match guy was using a pair of pliers on his lock ring as he changed animals. Good American made Tang sights like MVA's are the most repeatable of all. Veiner if you read it right always goes to the same spot no matter what.

My advice, Lymans and Williams are inexpensive and work well. Stick with one or the other. If you want the best tang sight go MVA.

Boats
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Sorry Tlee, while I do have access to a digital camera, I lack the computer savy to post the pictures.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

You can attach the files to a post here (use the buttons down below the Preview, Submit, Save and Cancel buttons) or if the files are too large for that, you can email them to me and I can reduce the file size and post them for you. Send me a PM and I'll send you my email address and such.
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

While we are on the subject of Marble's problems, if you have occasion to fold the sight down to the tang, do so with a firm grip on the windage knob. If you don't the sight will usually fail to come back to the same point and change the windage adjustment.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

L. Rivard wrote:While we are on the subject of Marble's problems, if you have occasion to fold the sight down to the tang, do so with a firm grip on the windage knob. If you don't the sight will usually fail to come back to the same point and change the windage adjustment.
I have marbles sights on 5 different guns and have none of the problems you guys are talking about. I'm AAA in all 3 catagorys and may make master in pccbr this year.
NRA Endowment Member