Federal .22 mag ammo

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Federal .22 mag ammo

Post by cslcAl »

Where are some suppliers for Federal .22 mag. 50gr. ammo? I am looking to buy a case of this and want to get a good price. Al
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Just a caution on that ammo.. it didn't shoot as accurately as some other types of ammo in the guns that I tried it in. I think it's just not going fast enough with the factory load to stabilize in most 22 mag barrels. Once you dump the factory powder out and replace it with 7.1 grains of H110, it works great. :)
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Could it be that the 50g likes a shorter barrel? I don't have a 22 Magnum rifle (yet) but I do have a contender barrel in that caliber and tried some of both wieghts.

I tested/compared the #737 40g & #757 50g Federal 22 Magnums out of my 10" Contender barrel using a 4-16x scope off a rest, and the groupings were fantastic with both (less than 1" at 100meters, most holes were touching at 40 & 50 meters).

With the #737 40g FMJ ammo I wound up with exactly the same scope settings at 40, 50, and 75 meters (POI was within 1/4" using the same scope settings at all distances). I had to add 7 clicks at 100 meters (1-3/4" drop).

With the #757 50g JHP ammo, the 50 & 75 meters setting were identical, 40 meter targets needed a couple clicks less, but targets at 100 meters needed a full 20 clicks of additional elevation (5" drop).

I thought it was odd that the 50g bullet needed that much more elevation change until I looked at the velocity specs on both ammos. The 40g is spec'd at 1880fps muzzle velocity while the 50g ammo is spec'd at 1530 fps.

Anyone try a similar test out of a rifle?

--Tim
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I've shot the 40 grain and the 50 grain fed. out of my Marlin 1894m. The full metal jacket 40 grain seems to group very well and holds together on target impact with the rams. Good hits, no problems. The 50 grain is very accurate too, but really runs out of steam from 75 to 100yards and requires a lot more hold over. I've been shooting the 40 grain on cowboy targets and it shoots very flat. It takes out some of my guess work on sight points. If the OFGC in Van Buren AR has their Cowboy match this weekend, I'll have a report on the over all performance on Rams.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Fed. 22 Mag.

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I have been shooting the Fed. 40 Gr. solid copper jacket in my Win. 9422 for 3 Years, never lost a ram yet, and they are extremly accurate. I would not bother with the 50gr. they are slower, and not as accurate at 100 yards.
Evelio.
Evelio
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've tried the CCI Maxi-Mag FMJ rounds out of my Marlin 57, and they shoot very accurately. I have rung two or more rams out of ten with hits that happen to go a little low in the body or shoulder with them, though. I've seen the 40-grain full metal jacket rounds ring rams for at least three other shooters that I can remember, too. Two of them are the two who taught me how to replace the powder in the 50-grain rounds, and I haven't rung a ram again yet since I switched, including two low shoulder hits on rams the day I scored 38/40.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Fed 40 grain fmj .22 mag

Post by glen ring »

This round shot very flat today and was accurate. I rang four rams with three being good center hits. During the warm-up I shot a ram dead center, no movement so I sent another one dead center and again just scooted the ram. I noticed we had a south wind coming in at about 10 mph( we were shooting into the wind.) When the wind was blowing I seemed to have trouble ringing a ram, during the still they fell. I didn't think that such a mild wind could have an effect on the heavy rams. This round is very accurate and when I watched the sights the rest of the animals fell violently, but the rams were a different matter. Maybe this bullet/cartridge is a little light. Does anyone shoot a 41 magnum in Pistol cartridge Cowboy?
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I use the fed 50 grn in my 10 inch contender. Very accurate. sub 1 inch at 100 meters. the 40 grn was not as accurate out of the short 10 inch contender barrel. I believe the barrel twist is what makes a difference on what grn will work best in your barrel.
tim
Steelbanger
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steelbanger »

Al,
Geiser Guns, down the road from you in Sunbury, PA, is a Federal distributor. They should have the ammunition you want.

Here's their telephone number 570-286-2611 and if they're not open there is a recorded message telling you their hours of operation.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.