Marlin 336W, 30-30, 20" barrel

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
bugabob
B Poster
B Poster

Marlin 336W, 30-30, 20" barrel

Post by bugabob »

BassPro will have these on sale for $350. Anyone have any major concerns with this rifle for someone just getting into lever action silhouette?

Bob
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Marlin 336W, 30-30, 20" barrel

Post by lone ringer »

Good rifle, great price. In Cowboy you see a great variety of equipment and I have seen many shooters use the carbines successfully. Install a decent set of sights, have somebody knowledgeable do a trigger job and you are ready to go.
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

The only thing you might think about is that you'll probably be limited to jacketed bullets if you want the best accuracy. I never had any luck shooting cast with mine but then I do know folks who shoot cast regularly with the micro-groove barrel. It is a good rifle and that is a very good price for a NIB one.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

The average 336 is more accurate than the average 94 Winchester. In my case (one of each) considerably more.
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Maybe I've had good luck, but I've had a very accurate Win 94 and am equally happy with my 336. I prefer the 336 due to the pistol grip and easier to tune trigger. I also just like the function better. Love the rifle though.

I've been shooting the Lee 170gr RNFP with a gas check and it seems to be shooting really well. The only thing is I've been running it a bit slow for rams so I'm upping the velocity a bit for those. I shoot the 170gr at around 1100fps for Chickens, Pigs and Turkeys and 1350fps for rams but I'm going to up that to around 1600fps.

Microgroove barrel is digesting lead just fine. I size at .310.

I'd buy it and not look back. Don't worry about the 20" barrel, it's more in the mind. A 24" barrel does hang nice in my hands, but in terms of sight radius it's negligible.

Hard to go past a Williams FP sight with the target knobs, although I shoot a Marbles tang sight on mine.
Boom........clang!
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day All
Considering the numbers of rifles made by each company I think the following statement
ajj wrote:The average 336 is more accurate than the average 94 Winchester. In my case (one of each) considerably more.
is unquallified.
I have seen rifles that have been sold due to being "innaccurate" only for the next owner to put some time and effort into load development to have a rifle that is very accurate.
More time put in where it counts, shooting at silhouettes, will do more to improve your scores than buying " more accurate " rifles.
Buy the rifle you want / can afford, work out your loads for it and learn how to shoot it. Practice, practice, practice.

Taps