357 rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

357 rifle

Post by glen ring »

Today I looked at a Marlin 1894 cowboy in 357 magnum for cowboy silhouette. Does anyone shoot this cal in the 200yard match? I'm trying to shoot the three gun match with only two rifles. My marlin 22lr for smallbore and a 357 for pistol and the 200yard la match. I've checked the ballistic tables for 180 grn bullets and it looks very adequate. Anyone with any info will be appreciated.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Several of the guys up here shoot their 357 rifles in both the pistol cartridge and long range cowboy matches. With a good load with the heavy bullets in the 357, they don't have any trouble taking the rams down in the long range match. Sorry I don't have any load info for it, though, as I shoot a 22 mag in pistol cartridge and a 30-30 in the long range match.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Yeah, it'll work. Several of our shooters here in Yuma use the .357 and do well with it. They lose a ram occasionally but you will lose a ram occasionally with anything less than an airstrike, IMHO.
eskuri
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eskuri »

Yep, the rams are tough!! If everything is right, they'll all go down. Just a slight headwind and center of mass hits will stay up. I use 180gr bullets for all animals. It's simpler, and also guaranteed to take all the pigs, too. I use one load for CPT and another, way over book, for the rams. I shoot a Rossi 1892, which is a strong action and can take the pressure.