Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette

Post by GTS »

We just had our first 2 Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette matches at the Benton Gun Club this weekend.

WHAT A HOOT!!! :lol:

I think I had as much fun as I did when I shot my first HP match. The match was fired during a club 1/2 scale match that is starting to attract a lot of shooters with a number of junior shooters.

If you haven't tried this one, you really need to. It's a blast.

Greg Sullivan
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

I must say that I had a blast as well. I wasn't even thinking about comming out except fro Greg inviting me. As seems to be the "norm" in the silhouette community, he was nice enoungh to lend me his equipment b/c I had none. To his credit though he did go the 'extra' mile and sell it to me after the match!

We nearly freaked out when looking at the classifications...i.e.37 for Master. Saying to one another "dang they must expect us to hit a whole bunch of these"...LOL. Greg shot right under AAA first match and I came back second match and ran the pigs to get a leg up on my Grand Slam... We are in the process of installing tang peep sights and we predict a speedy entry into AAA for sure. Heck, there may be a sport I can attain "Master" in...Haha

It was a hoot for sure, I know I'm hooked!

Thats Sherif Chicken to you son...
Image Chicken George
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

I love shooting my Marlin 39A with the Marbles tang sight. We shoot our Cowboy match in conjunction with our hunter pistol matches which are moving to the 1st Saturday of the month starting in March. (Old Fort Gun Club Fort Smith) After shooting the 1/5 scale animails these thing look soooo big.
Commander in Chief, F Troop
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Looks like you'll be hosting a couple of more "cowboys" this year John. Well at least as soon as I replace the rifle I sold Chicken. :(

Thought I had a line on one but it disappeared on me! :shock:

You know, Krossfire Karl picked up a suitable rifle last year also. We may bring him with us unless he's been banished from the range.

Greg
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Karl's always welcome. You may have to point out his bank of animals or helf him find his relay, but he's a lot of fun. Marlins seem to be the gun of choice from those I've talked to and I bought one at a reasonable price this year. The Marble's tang sight is way better than the lyman reciever sight and a must for older eyes that have a hard tim focusing on both sights at once. And there is one guy who shoots a Marlin model 60, which for some unknown reason meets the rules requirement (tube fed semi autos are eligable, but not clip fed). For some reason those lever action 22's are just a blast to shoot, and you can be super competitive with very little cash outlay. The used 39A's in pawn shops and gun shop up this way are a little too pricey, but some shopping around should get you a good specimen for well under 300. Look forward to having you guys

John
Commander in Chief, F Troop

Post by Guest »

There's something cathartic about dropping 35/40 with your Marlin 39A using iron sights. It makes you feel much better about yourself so you can struggle back to the smallbore matches each month. :wink: