Should smallbore cowboy rules be changed?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.

No! They should be left as they are, allowing any lever, pump, or semi-automatic action rifle with a tubular magazine.
50%
Yes! They should be changed to be less restrictive and allow any tube-fed rifle, including bolt actions.
No votes
Yes! They should be changed to be less restrictive and allow single shot and bolt action rifles.
5%
Yes! They should be changed to be more restrictive and only allow lever action rifles with tubular magazines, just like pistol cartridge and centerfire cowboy matches.
45%

Total votes: 20

Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Here's the question from the smallbore forum asked in the form of a poll in the cowboy forum. Vote and then post the reasons you voted the way you did.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I voted to leave the rules alone because so far the sport has managed to prosper and I feel it is because they rules have basically not changed since the NRA decided to sanction the Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette matches seven years ago.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Ok, I voted for option four to change the rules to only allow lever actions with tubular magazines. That would make the rules more coherent with the other two cowboy lever action rifle classes and would make explaining the rules to newcomers much easier. With the Henry rifle out there available for cheap at all the <whatever>-Mart stores, there's should be no claim of pricing the common man out of the match. If anything, this would make the equipment even more similar among competitors on the line and make the match more about the shooter than the equipment. I don't want to see an equipment race in this match, as I already deal with that in the other matches. I like the fact that the best setup for the match can be gotten for a few hundred bucks total, including sights and a supply of ammo.

If the option that I voted for weren't available, I would have voted for leaving the rules as they are. It has crossed my mind to take a synthetic or laminate and stainless Marlin semi-auto with a tube magazine and deck it out to shoot the match with just to put it in the rack for contrast with the other guns at the match, hoping that I might be able to get more people behind me on not allowing semi-autos. I'd agree to never use it for the match again in return for them signing a letter to the NRA silhouette committee asking semi-autos to be removed from the allowed equipment list. :) Barring that, though, I would much rather have the rules left alone.
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
Here in Australia we have just adopted "Cowboy" to be shot as a national event. We will be using the same rules as NRA with some exceptions in target size and distance. BUT the rifle specs and rules are perfect to create a competition that everyone can have a chance in.
Obviously shooter skill will play a large part but a good shooter on a limited budget will not be at a disadvantage to some one who can spend what they want on equipment because there is only so much they can do to improve there rifles. This I believe (due to the fact it is a level playing field) is going to be a popular event here and I'm looking forward to watching the growth and development of it.
If anyone wishes to attend the inaugral Australian National Championships they will be in Jan 2008 and are followed by a major "normal" silhouette match ( 8 days of burning powder), so if you want to escape the northern winter come down.
Juddy
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Well as posted in the poll for selections, I voted to leave the rules the same and not change them. The only change I would propose and suggested in my other post, which wasn't a selection, was that single shot period rifles, like the Winchester low wall, similiar looking to the black powder rifles, be included with all the same rules / restrictions as are currently written i.e. post front sight etc.. I don't agree that bolt actions be should be allowed. Again my toughts are if you advertise a 'Cowboy' match and you get spectators they come with a expectation that the rifles they will see are period type rifles, lever action and single shot period type rifles, not semi autos (but I can live with that if we add the single shots).

Just to clarify my original post, the purpose of the suggested rule 'clarification' to include single shot period type rifles was to allow some black powder shooters and others who have the Winchester low walls for practice the opportunity to participate with their equipment, not to make it an open shooting event.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Jason,

I did not vote because I feel the only rule I would like changed is to adopt the falling blocks, rolling blocks and single shot break opens, all predate tube feed. If you added a pole response of period firearms only, who's patent predates 1900, that is where I would like to see the sport ascend too.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jason, I for one would not like to see the rules changed. The one thing that makes Cowboy attractive to a lot of shooters is the simplicity of it. If we get into a revolving rules situation like SB and HP Hunter it will drive shooters away. The rules are set up now for period type rifles; and the semis' have been around for a long time ie: 63 Winchester. Granted a modern semi doesn't look like a cowboy period rifle, but they still function the same. I use a 61 Winchester pump. Why? Because I allways wanted one and the fact that they were allowed in this sport gave me a reason to buy one. And I enjoy the fact that I get to put it to use instead of collecting dust. It also is a real shooter.
I feel sorry for the shooters that have a nice Colt Lightning and can't use it for PC. Al Foust
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Original Proposal

Post by Bob259 »

Just as a level set. I've attached below the original proposal that was sent to the NRA. As you can see it's not to open it up blindly but just to clarify and include the period single shot .22's.

If you agree I would suggest you copy and send into the rules committee for consideration. Hopefully this will clear up what was proposed and you will be in agreement.

Petition for Rule Change to Cowboy Lever Action Smallbore Silhouette
Equipment NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules - Section 3.1.3 C a

Overview:
We would like to petition the Rules Committee to consider the following changes to the rules for Cowboy lever action smallbore silhouette match equipment (NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules Section 3.1.3 C a) The current rules stipulate that only tube fed rifles are allowed to compete and do not allow for the use in competition of a single shot lever action rifle (e.g. Winchester Model 1885 .22). The Winchester 1885 rifle is a single shot rifle and a replica of that era. However, the current rule allows for the use of Semi-auto
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Bob259,

Great proposal and one I feel we need to pursue. Sounds like a very reasonable change and more in line with the discipline. If it was around in 1870 thru 1890 I would have to say a cowboy probly used it.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I'm torn. Unless it could be explained, I think adding lever-action breech-block actions should be encouraged (although perhaps a barrel length consideration needs to be contemplated?)

At the same time, I fully understand the need to help include new-comers who only want to use their hand-me-down Glenfield/Marlin/Mossberg/Stevens/Sears .22 before they lay down any cash for something they may not take interest in (like that's possible :)).

I get the distinct impression the NRA sees Cowboy Silhouette as a "precursor drug" to becoming fully addicted to Silhouette in general and leaving the welcome mat out here accomplishes that.
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I didn't know how to word a falling-block action choice up there without including nearly any single shot rifle, so I didn't put that specifically as a choice. I still think "non-target type" in the proposal is vague enough to get the whole proposal dismissed in the rules committee's minds, but I'd probably pick up a falling block rifle for smallbore silhouette if they were allowed, just because they're cool. :)
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I wonder if that's why they haven't let them in yet is because breech-block (or break action) type rifles are pretty easy to make up. One could conceivably get one with a 36" barrel... There is that whole "originally made" rule as well.... hmm....
ImageImage
jfaaa
B Poster
B Poster

Rule change?

Post by jfaaa »

I am for including single shot rifles in rimfire cowboy silhouette because I would like to shoot an original Stevens Favorite in the local matches. No target sights, nothing but original equipment.
Jim Fitch
alsmith
B Poster
B Poster

Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge Distance for Pigs

Post by alsmith »

More silhouette ranges might consider adding Cowboy Silhouette events if the pig distance for Cowboy Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge was the same as for smallbore bolt action rifles matches.